Velbon Tripods?

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
Went into Jessops today to try and get a part for my camera ( missing 10 pin connector cover on my D200) needless to say, they didnt have one, but I did look at their tripods on the way out. The Manfrotto 190XPROB which looked very nice, then i looked at a couple of Velbon tripods, and i must say, first impressions were very good. I will be looking for a good general purpose tripod soon, are these worthy alternatives to Manfrotto? I have never come across them before.

And, good news on the missing connector cover, Nikon are going to send me one FOC.
Now thats customer service worth remembering!

Allan

No problems with my two year old Velbon Sherpa .... I also use it when out Nature Watching, carrying it on my shoulder with a scope mounted .... came with a nice storage bag too. :)

I currently have a SLIK 88. Very stable, very cumbersome and very old, just a little too hefty ( and edgey!) to be carrying over my shoulder for too long.
The Sherpa 750 looks pretty ideal to me, ( thanks Slapo) Now to find a good price online....

Allan

I currently have a SLIK 88. Very stable, very cumbersome and very old, just a little too hefty ( and edgey!) to be carrying over my shoulder for too long.
The Sherpa 750 looks pretty ideal to me, ( thanks Slapo) Now to find a good price online....

Allan

I went from a slik88 to a velbon sherpa. No regrets - great tripod. (y)

I got the Velbon, from here Havent had a chance to get out with it yet. As for value for money, you cant go wrong.

I don't like my Velbon tripod after I trapped my thumb in it, it bled for ages...

I don't like my Velbon tripod after I trapped my thumb in it, it bled for ages...

Ive coped with a very sharp trappy Slik for ages with no ill effects, I might be ok with the Velbon, but I do sympathise with you. Just to be on the safe side, i will get a stock of plasters if I buy one.
I quite like the look of the 600, sorry Weggy I really wanted a bigger one...;)

Allan

Don't we all :LOL:

Allan

You're welcome :)

I hope it'll serve you well.

Ive coped with a very sharp trappy Slik for ages with no ill effects, I might be ok with the Velbon, but I do sympathise with you. Just to be on the safe side, i will get a stock of plasters if I buy one.
I quite like the look of the 600, sorry Weggy I really wanted a bigger one...;)

Allan

Doh, I was going to upgrade to a Slik one, hopefully the newer ones are less finger hungry!

Doh, I was going to upgrade to a Slik one, hopefully the newer ones are less finger hungry!

Bear in mind, mine is probably about 25 years old and still works fine. A great example of quality and a great tripod, but almost prehistoric (and pre H&S) in design when you look at todays offerings.

Allan

It all depends on which Velbon model(s) you are thinking of getting...
I have the Velbon Luxi which has good and bad points. It's great in the fact that it folds up really small (about 12" long when packed away). It's lightweight so also quite flimsy so not good if it's windy. I find the twisty legs a real pain as they always seem to get stuck.

I have a Velbon Sherpa(think a 650r)
nice and sturdy and easy to use
Nice carry bag with it, quite pleased overall and it does for my needs (y)

When I started out I got a cheapy Velbon (about £20 I think), always been fine for me, although I hardly use it for anything intense.

Back