Vellum diffuser

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
@GardenersHelper @Tintin124 @cruso and any others that were watching my original diffusion thread here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/diffusion-trial-again.712539/#post-8745540

This is another diffusion attempt: The ringflash fastened (very ugly though) to the trunk of the flash unit, and on the lights is my milk bottle and foam cutout diffusion pieces, and now over the top of that is an A5 piece of Vellum 150gsm paper. In the centre of the ring is silver foil, hopefully helping spread some the light too... maybe...)

It's kinda large, and like I suppose many diffusion ideas/systems, it hides from view what is in front of the lens meaning the viewfinder or screen is the only way of framing your subjects once the camera is in position (more or less as usual of course - but it's harder to line up the subjects initially because you can't see them directly unless you look over the top or top the side of the diffuser).

Diff2-L.jpg

Diff3-L.jpg

Diff4-L.jpg

Diff5-L.jpg

A couple of interesting examples coming up...

Last edited:
As we all know, ladybirds can be very problematical...

I'm not saying this is gonna happen like this next time I photograph one, but on these shots, the diffusion looks pretty good (at least on these angles!)

LB_Diffused_01.jpg

And then it clambered off the dandelion leaf and onto my thumb - where it found something tasty to apparently feed on... I'm guessing the sap from the leaf transferred onto my skin maybe, though I don't know why she might find it worth feeding on... These are the same image, the second one is cropped and rotated.

LB_Diffused_02.jpg

LB_Diffused_02a.jpg

Paul.

Very good. I have a diffuser that I bought for my canon speedlite but I don't think it will last.
Where did you get the vellum from? I am thinking of using lego and tape to make a diffuser with material x (I.e I haven't worked out what it is yet).

Thank you for that - does it diffuse well?

It seems better with than without that's for sure. Should I get the chance (it's pouring down today and my next day off is Wednesday next week) I will try to do the same subect with and without the Vellum across the front of the rig lights.

Paul.

Laminate the Vellum then it wont get ruined by rain. Looks very good indeed. (y)

Back