Velocipedes, Churnet Valley Railway

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Passing Churnet Valley Railway, Froghall, Staffordshire and was surprised to see some very strange human-powered contraptions on the track. I believe they are called velocipedes and were from various parts of the country.

Velocipede, Churnet Valley Railway. 1 by Chris, on Flickr

Velocipede, Churnet Valley Railway. 3 by Chris, on Flickr

Velocipede, Churnet Valley Railway. 4 by Chris, on Flickr

It would have been better to get down onto the tracks but that was not permitted as they also had steam and diesel trains running on the track, hence the presence of so many high-vis jackets.

Chris

Great shots and as you say different wheels.
They have this sort of thing here in France where you can peddle or something on old disused tracks for a hours or so but no steam trains about.

Thanks Graham, I had not seen anything like it before, there's always something new to see. They seemed to be having a great time on their home made contraptions.

Chris

Are these home made or original relics? Very similar carts used to used for track inspections, being light enough one person could lift them off the track for trains to pass.

I think they are home made, with some of the wheels and bearings scavenged from maintenance equipment.

Very bonkers looking vehicles. I like the idea of number 2 though. The wife "driving" whilst the husband lays back and enjoys the ride

Back