Venice in an afternoon/evening... what to shoot?

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
I am in Venice on Monday afternoon/evening and need some ideas!

What's the one location you'd put above all others for a sunset shoot? and where else should I walk around and get photos?

Thanks

I think you could just about stand anywhere in Venice and fill your boots , take an extra memory card!

Walk around any of the back streets away from the rest of the tourists and you should find some nice still canals with some buildings/bridges reflected.

As for sunset, I have had a few good ones with San Giorgio Maggiore as a backdrop. I've mostly gone around the end of October though, and to get the Sun in a good position you may have to go quite far towards Arsenale or even to Giardini Biennale. From that area, because of the position of the Sun, you may be able to get the Sun behind the Santa Maria della Salute too.

I use an Android app called Exsate Golden Hour which can show you where the Sun will be at different times of the day. Very handy if you are on Android. I'm sure there are similar apps on iOS. It is only a guide though, as for one trip it had the Sun dropping behind the Ponte Vecchio in Florence straight inline with the river, unfortunately the Sun went behind some mountains in the distance first. :( :rolleyes: You can only try to plan your position in advance so much. ;) :LOL: Fingers crossed you have a nice sunset.

There are some sunset pics with San Giorgio Maggiore within my gallery of Venice pics here, to give you an idea. But as I said I went about a month later than this, or in April. There are also other pics of the quieter areas of Venice, and they all have the location where they were taken if some places catch your eye. :)

Please let us know how it went. :)

Oh, and I forgot to add, if you are there after sunset, there are some nice pics to be had from a jetty that juts out into the Grand Canal to get pics of the Rialto Bridge. Tripod recommended for that one though. ;)

Last edited:
Do you know what, just enjoy it. Stroll around, see what you see and take images that you see, there is so much to take in without trying to get that perfect travel image.

Bit of a belated reply but maybe of some interest for those going.. I am a habitual visitor to the city.

Just before my last visit (in January this year) one viewpoint I was told about would be good at sunset- walk along the front towards Arsenale, away from the crowds - about the 6th or 7th bridge there are some steps just behind the bridge that allows you to get down to the water level, look through the arch and towards San Giorgio.. Helps if there is no boat moored nearby but I have seen shots and they look great.

Sunset from Rialto is good but our best sunset was from the watertaxi taking us back to the airport.

I think you could just about stand anywhere in Venice and fill your boots , take an extra memory card!

That's what I was going to say.

If you go to Venice and cant find anywhere then you should have gone to specsavers...

Bit of a belated reply but maybe of some interest for those going.. I am a habitual visitor to the city.

Just before my last visit (in January this year) one viewpoint I was told about would be good at sunset- walk along the front towards Arsenale, away from the crowds - about the 6th or 7th bridge there are some steps just behind the bridge that allows you to get down to the water level, look through the arch and towards San Giorgio.. Helps if there is no boat moored nearby but I have seen shots and they look great.

Sunset from Rialto is good but our best sunset was from the watertaxi taking us back to the airport.
I'm there again tomorrow. :D

I have had sunsets with San Giorgio Maggiore in the foreground of the sunset from the area between San Marco and Arsenale, but that was later in the year, around Oct/Nov. I've never been around this time of the year, so sunsets, and sunrises are going to be very different. I will try this as a starting point and see what I can get. :)

Sunset is more in the North West than closer towards the West of later in the year and to get a good foreground, with hopefully a good sunset may be difficult. :thinking:

Thanks for posting. (y)

Back