Venture style portrature

Name
Franko
Edit My Images
Yes
do you still get a demand for this .?

over the last 2 or 3 years i think demand has dropped off a cliff.

i have never liked the style myself but there was a time where the punters wanted it.

i think a lot of the studio shoots for families is moving towards location shoots

what are your experiences ?

I get this each and every day.I till think people hold much more value to studio shoots.

a lot of photographers have gone down the venture style route because it was popular a few years ago.
it's been overdone and i would suggest that family/child posed in front of background in a studio looks more like a school photograph, its been so over done.
i have made a fair living with this sort of photography but i get asked more and more for location shoots. a lot of photographers dont want to leave their comfort zone of a studio where everything is controllable and predictable. i do agree white backgrounds look naff.

I think there are some elements of truth in all of these arguments

The changes are being driven by BOTH the photographers AND the clients

From the photographer POV... On the one hand we have a breed of photographers who are comfortable in the controlled warm, air conditioned environment of a studio, where a steady stream of clients come to them. On the other we have the gear-less photographer that sees the location shoot as the only way they can do a shoot. In the middle we have the photographer that has the gear and will work happily in both environments

From the client point of view, we have the families for whom money is no object, they go to the studio every year, they see cost as an indicator of quality, they live in a house that is minimalist, and the venture pictures slot straight in. On the other we have the family that is struggling, and chooses the cheapest option going, and then in the middle we have the client with taste and money that takes the time to seek out the talented photographer to do what ever is the best for their needs. That might be the totally talented all-round photographer that does a location shoot, or they might go to the studio, or alternate it

I went through a brief Venture phase about 7 years ago and Ray Lowe advised me to stop copying the Venture style and come up with my own identity. He was right when he said that photographers are generally a lazy breed of people and take the easy option by copying someone elses style, rather than coming up with their own look which could be a far better USP and seperate you from the competition.

I'm personally going in the opposite direction by giving my work a slight classical feel and the clients seem to really like it.

My last enquiry specifically mentioned they liked the venture style look and can I do this!

Some people though state they dont like the style and not to do that. I think its important to offer a mix. Also, to a degree, someone can easily get an on location shot with a compact. Ok, I like to think not with the same colours, sharpness and quality but a studio look is much harder for the average person to get, hence more value is placed on that.

Location shoots? Is that a term for togs with no lights and no studio?

Not at all. I have plenty of lights backdrops and all sorts of other stuff i almost never use. Infact all my location work i still use at least 2 off camera flash.

but a studio look is much harder for the average person to get, hence more value is placed on that.

There's a lot of truth in that. When I go to a restaurant I only like to order things which they can cook notably better than I can cook myself at home (as I like cooking). If I'm going to pay money for photos then they need to be significantly higher quality than I can do myself and/or be a different style like studio type stuff.

Back