Versatile travel camera?

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
My current travel camera is a Panasonic LX100 MK1. It has a flash and i have some screw on ND filters and a mini pocket tripod which has done me well over the years when going abroad on city breaks.
However, the fixed lens does pain me slightly and i was wondering what a better alternative would be?
Something smaller than my DSLR, ideally with a fold-out screen, similar functions to a DSLR, and lens options.
I like cameras that have physical buttons and dials, without going into multiple menus.
Thanks
Panasonic pic for attention..
P1030514 by jason greenwood, on Flickr

What sort of focal length range are you looking for and what's your budget?
i would mainly use a kit lens (18-55mm) but would like to have a very wide angle/fisheye and possibly something with longer range.

i would mainly use a kit lens (18-55mm) but would like to have a very wide angle/fisheye and possibly something with longer range.

the lenses I'd suggest looking at:
Sigma 18-50mm f2.8
Sigma 10-18mm f2.8
Sony 11mm f1.8
Sony 10-20mm f4
Samyang 12mm f2 AF
Samyang 8mm f2.8 fisheye is pretty much the best fisheye lens for APS-C

some small manual lenses also available like
laowa 10mm f4 cookie
laowa 9mm f2.8

Some of these lenses are available (or will be available) in Fuji, Canon and Nikon mounts.... obviously the Sony lenses are Sony only (can be adapted to Nikon Z).

Bodies I think in general are not too important, look at the lenses first.

For long lens IMO nothing comes close to Sony 70-350mm. But if you don't need that much reach and want smaller options most mounts will have telezoom type lens that'll workout.

I made a similar choice last year but wanted a one lens solution in the main and settled for an X-t30 with the 16-80/f4 OIS lens. Great combination and much more portable than my 5d3 with a 24-105 or similar!

Last edited:
Omd e-m10.2 + Panasonic 12-32 or Olympus 14-42 would give you 24-64 or 28-84mm range

You get IBIS too

Then something like the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 if you want a small prime ( that doesn’t focus quickly in low light ) or the Olympus 17mm f1.8

Omd e-m10.2 + Panasonic 12-32 or Olympus 14-42 would give you 24-64 or 28-84mm range

You get IBIS too

Then something like the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 if you want a small prime ( that doesn’t focus quickly in low light ) or the Olympus 17mm f1.8
An E-M5ii (or the newer models)is nice too and weather sealed.
I agree about the compact zooms too.

My own travel camera is an Olympus E-M1ii and M.Zuiko 8-25mm f4.

Sony RX100 V or a variation - always fits in your pocket

Reactions: Nod
As you've had a LX100 this post seems pretty much on point...

You get IBIS too

When MFT came out I went for Panasonic and I particularly like the RF style cameras as they are generally smaller than the SLR style cameras. I currently have three, GX9, GX80 and GM5 but unfortunately I think Panasonic have discontinued the lot now, you could pick something up used though. These cameras obviously have all the functions of a DSLR and possibly more too if you count the nice things that come with mirrorless. Lens wise there are a lot of lenses which can be found used at reasonable prices.

I don't know much about Oly lenses but I do have the 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8's and can recommend them all especially the 17mm f1.8 which is well made. For zooms I can recommend the 12-35mm f2.8, the 45-150mm f4-5.6 and the tiny 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 G Vario which is tiny. All of these are IMO good to use from wide open and I do use them wide open to f5.6.

Good luck choosing.

These days when travelling light I tend to go with a X-T30 and 18-55 - and if there's a bit of extra space carry a 35mm F1.4 or 56mm F1.2 as a prime - or 55-200 if I feel I need something longer..

Back