Very basic video editing software and hardware..?

Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if this is so very basic but...
I had half a dozen video tapes transferred to dvd for a friend who tells me there are lot of long blank bits, which she wants removed. I guess this means ripping the footage to my pc, editing then copying back to another dvd.
Having never done any video editing at all, can anyone please tell me what software might be good to try (the easier to use the better) and am I likely to need a better graphics card - mine is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti.

I usually use ACDSee editing software for my photo's and they have 'Video Studio 4' but this looks to be overkill for just such a simple job...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi

You can use handbrake to copy the files from DVD to your pc, and then may be able to use davici resolve which is free to edit.

There are other paid software available if required like Sony Vegas.

GoPro studio not just for gopro footage and free
https://gopro.com/en/gb/shop/softwareandapp/gopro-studio/GoPro-Studio.html?lang=en
Bit more capable (and complicated) also free - Shotcut
https://www.shotcut.org/
You can still get Moviemaker it's not officially supported so you might have to muck about e.g. convert to .avi first
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...als-2012/7665b354-4f2b-445d-811e-9d8c98e8f872

Making a DVD needs a bit of research but not unduly difficult once you have your video file ready.
(Must admit not done one for years)

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies - this sounds a bit more complex than I'd hoped.
Maybe I should look into buying some software if it is going to make things simple (it needs to be if I'm going to use it...)

Try the free one and if it does not work you can buy one. No point buying one and you have the same problems.

DaVinci Resolve is free and very capable, once you have transferred the files

I was in the same Boat as you. I bought one of these off amazon. Load the software Plug it in and play. I can pause it over the blank bits and it plays in real-time so you can pause the blank bits etc. A great buy for £20

Video converter

Makes me laugh how people just say, hey why not get DaVinci Resolve its free, as if somehow that makes it easy to use........

I agree it is not easy to use, but there are loads of YouTube videos that may help.

Obviously if you have a money tree buy an app[emoji3].

Again, thanks for the replies - I don't have a lot of money (off work for a few months following an operation, and being self employed means no income..) and sore eyes mean I struggle spending much time in front of a screen. Sob sob...

Years ago I bought a couple of Panasonic DVD recorders with hard discs These have scarts and I was able to plug my VHS recorders into them and copy everything to the hard disc, edit it and transfer it to DVD. I use these a lot and recently with a HDMI to scart box to record a series off an Asian site on line via my pc. The advantage for me is that I don't have to faff on learning new software on the pc and have DVD's that'll seemingly play on anything with no compatibility issues as yet. These recorders are still on sale from about £250.

Years ago I bought a couple of Panasonic DVD recorders with hard discs These have scarts and I was able to plug my VHS recorders into them and copy everything to the hard disc, edit it and transfer it to DVD. I use these a lot and recently with a HDMI to scart box to record a series off an Asian site on line via my pc. The advantage for me is that I don't have to faff on learning new software on the pc and have DVD's that'll seemingly play on anything with no compatibility issues as yet. These recorders are still on sale from about £250.
Do you know if these can copy from a dvd disc ? If so, then can you please tell me the model number as this might be perfect for me as it could be given to my friend (who is also a client) and thus claimed as a business expense...!)

What type of VHS was the footage transferred from? If from mini DV you may find the quality of has been reduced a bit on dvd. When you copy form dvd to your HD and then edit further it may reduce the quality further.

What type of VHS was the footage transferred from? If from mini DV you may find the quality of has been reduced a bit on dvd. When you copy form dvd to your HD and then edit further it may reduce the quality further.
I think it was mini DV. The footage is of her kids, shot maybe 20 years ago so I doubt the quality is too high anyway.
It's about time I said thank you to you for your multiple replies too - much appreciated Kev. I've just been looking into Handbrake (see, I do listen to what you say..!) and may actually upgrade my ACDSee software as there is a special offer on right now that includes both the editing programs I use and the video editing software too.

No problems. Not sure where you are based but if they still have their mini DV tapes I can lend you my camcorder to copy them across to a HDD and edit or I could do that part and save on a hd for you.

No problems. Not sure where you are based but if they still have their mini DV tapes I can lend you my camcorder to copy them across to a HDD and edit or I could do that part and save on a hd for you.
That's a very kind offer Kev - I'm in Cornwall, tapes are in London. I do have a spare internal hard drive here and hope to be going up to see her in a few weeks.
I'll talk to her and PM you if thats OK, but can only accept if I can give you something in return...

Makes me laugh how people just say, hey why not get DaVinci Resolve its free, as if somehow that makes it easy to use........
Makes me laugh that some people find Resolve difficult to use :)
how did you get on with your first photo editor?

Makes me laugh that some people find Resolve difficult to use :)
how did you get on with your first photo editor?
Why would you laugh at someone who would find resolve or any software difficult if they have never used it before? My first photo editor was photoshop and in the beginning it was difficult, it still can be when learning new techniques.

Why would you laugh at someone who would find resolve or any software difficult if they have never used it before? My first photo editor was photoshop and in the beginning it was difficult, it still can be when learning new techniques.
So why do you laugh at people saying why not get Davinci Resolve?
Double standards here...

Any program takes time to learn.

You clearly missed the point, never mind.
I never said it was easy to use.
Those were your words.
I pointed out that all programs took time to learn.
You are no exception apparently by your own admission.

I don't put words in other peoples mouths.
I didn't miss any point...

Never mind.

Back