Very enjoyable trip to Orkney

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I had the opportunity to be in Orkney for 2 nights and, though I had family in tow, managed a couple of dawn outings and one at sunset. It has risen to one of the top "must go back" destinations on my list. I'd love to spend a couple of weeks there quietly and calmly exploring with my camera.

Here are three pics for you.

You can read a more about it and see all the pics here.

#1 Yesnaby at dawn, with the Atlantic getting in the mood for winter.
I00008_zWnqPU4No.jpg

#2 Yes, it really was like this. In fact I have reduced the saturation on this shot. Dawn at Loch of Harray.
I0000DCE960A1HfQ.jpg

#3 Slabby rocks at Marwick. An area full of opportunities.
I0000UtaLODEVFSE.jpg

Fab, lovely, go there if you can. In fact, don't go there and leave it empty for me.

Last edited:
Tell you what mate, the first one is an absolute stunner, the power and motion of the sea captured brilliantly for me. Especially as the light is picking out the details in the top of the foreground rocks and the rocks beyond that darkening down really helps it to stand out. And I absolutely love the second too, the colours in the sky, and the feeling you could jump in that boat and disappear off into the lovely sunset.

The first is very good indeed, excellent composition, subtle tones and movement. The second is quite nice although I'm not sure the boat is adding to or spooling the composition, it is a bit dominant I feel. The third might be improved by a small crop from the bottom removing the horizontal crack which stops your eye moving through the picture. Good stuff though

Thanks folks.

Interesting comment re the horizontal crack at the bottom of the 3rd image. I actually consciously left that in to be the base of the picture. Funny that you read it completely differently.

Re the boat - I know what you mean. I put it in there as a strong subject for the image, though I can see that it is a bit jarring as well.

The experience of being out there was just glorious - the pics are a nice sideline to the main event.

Great set of images Andy, with the first shot being "Excellent".(y)

George.

Lovely set, no 1 is stunning. I dont mind the boat in 2 but the plastic drum is a bit distracting. You've just made my day though as im off to orkney for a week next month and can only hope for some shots like these- and sunrise will be a bit later [emoji3]

They are all nice but that first image is amazing

Back