Very Large Goldfinch.

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Posted a couple of grab shots in the WBHYST thread yesterday https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/what-birds-or-bird-have-you-seen-today-–-communal-thread-i-hope.608346/page-50 of this very large goldfinch which has been visiting the garden for a couple of days. Today I have seen the bird from first light and it's been around until early evening. It seems to be eating a lot and at one time it was on a feeder for about forty minutes continually munching away. Also visiting the birdbath a lot for a drink, which I don't notice usually with these and other small birds apart form Sparrows and Pigeons.

To me it's been this constant size for the couple of days and the weather is mild, on the above thread it was mentioned maybe some illness of bird? Anyone have further thoughts.

Not after crit as these are more record shots.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.......Lunch. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Very large Goldfinch. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Large Goldfinch by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Very large Goldfinch Been visiting for a few days and seems way too large, hopefully not an illness. Here for comparison it should be a little smaller than the Nuthatch. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Very large Goldfinch. Been visiting for a few days and seems way too large, hopefully not an illness. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Simon, could it be the parasitic Trichomonosis disease, (fat finch disease!)

it may infest your feeders, so stop feeding them and when they no longer come back, (the bird will die), wash all the feeders in that sterilising liquid stuff

(feeders and seed cramped together in feeders breeds all kind of stuff) - I tend not to use those type of feeders any more just open ones and put seeds out everyday once all has gone, plus on the ground near what I feel will be natural perches

Last edited:
Thanks Bill

I bleach and then wash the feeders weekly, the one in photo was cleaned last Friday.

Will take it down in morning and just leave the peanut feeders up for the time being.

I've never seen the Finches on peanut feeders only the seed ones. So that will stop them visiting for the time being.

Thanks Bill

I bleach and then wash the feeders weekly, the one in photo was cleaned last Friday.

Will take it down in morning and just leave the peanut feeders up for the time being.

I've never seen the Finches on peanut feeders only the seed ones. So that will stop them visiting for the time being.

I'd read about it but never seen a bird with it, (I took an image once of a Goldfinch with no feathers at all on it's neck and head, so looked diseases up)

Just done some more reading on the internet - just google fat finch disease ....... it's worth a read

see to be quite contagious

Last edited:
matted found around the beak and head feathers, unable to swallow and dropping and regergitating food seem to be the visible signs along with the puffed out and deranged feathers

The birds just cannot swallow and eventually just do not function

advice, (on RSPB site) is to clear all feeders and water out of the garden for 2 weeks

matted found around the beak and head feathers, unable to swallow and dropping and regergitating food seem to be the visible signs along with the puffed out and deranged feathers

The birds just cannot swallow and eventually just do not function

advice, (on RSPB site) is to clear all feeders and water out of the garden for 2 weeks

Yes seen the need to remove for a few weeks. After googling....Will take them all down in morning.

Thanks Bill

I wonder if that's what happened in my garden yesterday, I came across a Goldfinch in my peg tub in the garden (as you do) so I got it out and put it in my neighbours hedge or my dog would have got it. It certainly wasn't looking very healthy and didn't survive, I assumed it was a fledgling? Does it look like a fledgling or do you think it was another poorly one?

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

I think that there is a Goldfinch expert on here - he has an Avatar which is a Goldfinch

but it looks like the dreaded "Fat Finch Disease" to me

I'd bleach your pegs!!!

I think that there is a Goldfinch expert on here - he has an Avatar which is a Goldfinch

but it looks like the dreaded "Fat Finch Disease" to me

I'd bleach your pegs!!!

I wonder if that's what happened in my garden yesterday, I came across a Goldfinch in my peg tub in the garden (as you do) so I got it out and put it in my neighbours hedge or my dog would have got it. It certainly wasn't looking very healthy and didn't survive, I assumed it was a fledgling? Does it look like a fledgling or do you think it was another poorly one?

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

Thanks for the replies last night Bill & Mark, I was on phone so couldn't reply properly.

Does look like the one I had. I had the hospital this morning and when I came back the Goldfinch was still around. Took feeders down and bleached twice and will leave down for a couple of weeks, also cleaned the baths out. I also reported the incident to the BTO.

After reading up on the Google searches it's not a very nice disease to have around the garden, when there's healthy other birds around. Like you Bill, I'm close to woodland and countryside so have a lot of variety in the area, would be a shame if others pick up the disease.

Anyone interested have a look through some of the Google searches > https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=L4DhV4C4J4XS8AeS4qyICA

Back