Very nervous as I've never posted a shot on here before....

I like 2, but number 1 is better. Well done.

Definitely no 1. Perhaps a coupe of grad filters on here would have brought that sun back into play.

I like the first shot...the colours are lovely.
It does look a little soft though; was it hand held?

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :)

Looks like you had decent weather while you were in the SW. Like number 1 (actually, I like them both) but it could do with a little less exposure, next time, try dialling in a stop or 2 of underexposure to get a bit more detail in the sky. IMO the subject of a sunset shot is the colours in the sky - any foreground interest is a bonus so a little detail in that is a worthwhile sacrifice.

Nothing to be nervous about....I like them both but No 2 at a pinch is my fav.

Welcome along Hayley and great that you have posted your first (of many) photos :)

I really like No.1 - the rocks and the waves are great. I think the exposure is too high though which is hwy the detail in the sky is limited. Prehaps a stop or two lower or even better, using grad filters would really help.

No.2 is well composed and the square crop works. Unfortunately, the light isn't as great/interesting on this one but well done on the composition.

Keep the shots and posts coming - lots of great people on here that will offer feedback and advice.

Forgot to check back and see if there were any comments - and really chuffed that I did! Thanks for the great comments and feedback, all taken on board and helpful. Cheers. H

Like them both, 2 probably edges it in terms of composition, just a shame the sky didn't have a bit more interest.

As others have said, 1 is a bit overexposed, a grad filter would really help here, preferably a reverse grad for a sunset like this.

Whilst I like the composition of 2, it's cropped a bit too close to the rocks on both sides for me. I'd prefer to see a landscape crop rather than the square, but appreciate this could show too much of the foreground rocks in the bottom rh corner. Also, I find these cliff top views work very nicely with a moderately long exposure, flattens out the sea nicely while keeping the motion of the surf breaking on the rocks.

Last edited:
Really like number 1 which as others have said could have done with being a couple of stops under exposed.

Back