Very New student (level 1) with an aime to get good at newborn photography...

youll get more responses if you post the pictures on here and not just put up links

I'm not a professional as still learning myself but I think there pretty good! Xx

kellyanne1703 said:
I'm not a professional as still learning myself but I think there pretty good! Xx

Thank you can't wait to get better at it .. :)

i think no2 i very good.
no1 i think i would of gone for a larger DOF and then maybe a touch PP to get a soft focus all over the image to go with the dreamy look. I think the shallow DOF giving a blurred hand is a little distracting.

In both cases i think the composition is good, you must of had some patience

But that is just my opinion.

No.1 is definitely my preference of the 2 images although the white balance looks off as there is a yellow cast on the image.

In No.2 i think the lighting looks quite flat

Thank you everyone, much appreciated, I shall defo take all advice on board for the next opportunity I get to do a shoot, thanks again :)

They look really flat, like really flat!
you need to get them in LR and lift them , add some exp/contrast.

Heres the image with a very quick blast through PS overall though i like the images, the shots are framed well just pp that needs attention good work :clap:

MOD EDIT_OP DOESNT ALLOW EDITED VERSIONS, MUCH THE SAME AS YOURSELF...

Sorry but the skin tones in your revised one are completely off.

The original is a little flat and cold and maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a stop under-exposed, it needs a touch of contrast and maybe a little warmth but you have turned the baby orange, and lost all of the details in the shadows. You have also lost all of the detail in the eyes and you can't see any differentiation between the pupil and the iris.

It needed some work - but not like that.

Sorry but the skin tones in your revised one are completely off.

The original is a little flat and cold and maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a stop under-exposed, it needs a touch of contrast and maybe a little warmth but you have turned the baby orange, and lost all of the details in the shadows. You have also lost all of the detail in the eyes and you can't see any differentiation between the pupil and the iris.

It needed some work - but not like that.

wow you tell it as it is :LOL:

wow you tell it as it is :LOL:

Am I wrong ?

Because the OP is very new and learning, and might not have the experience to make that assessment themselves. Skin tones in babies are difficult to get right, and IMVHO getting them right is *one* of the things that differentiates good newborn photographers from the rest.

Last edited:
I agree with Mike on this one.
As for being harsh, it wasn't what I call harsh.
Don't forget, the OP wants advice on how to improve, there is no point in pussy footing around in case some-one gets offended.
If you don't want crit, don't ask for it. I prefer crit which is to the point, which IMHO is more helpful.

I agree with Mike on this one.
As for being harsh, it wasn't what I call harsh.
Don't forget, the OP wants advice on how to improve, there is no point in pussy footing around in case some-one gets offended.
If you don't want crit, don't ask for it. I prefer crit which is to the point, which IMHO is more helpful.

I agree to a point, but it doesn't hurt to add something positive. Some people on here can be little too quick to criticize but slow to offer compliments.

I agree to a point, but it doesn't hurt to add something positive. Some people on here can be little too quick to criticize but slow to offer compliments.

The critique was against an image that had been with no request from the OP, processed, and handed back as an improvement to their work.

There was no compliment to make. It wasn't their original image, so nothing to comment on composition, lighting, posing - kind of limiting to find compliments against such a limited amount of input.

Sorry but sometimes you just have to directly make a point, and not disguise it with niceties.

I think the first image is brilliant, well done you. If you don't mind me asking, where are you studying your level 1 course?

Hi pep
Like your images and good to see another member local to me has joined. Welcome to the forum.

I also really like the compositio and DOF in the first photo, the skin tones/colour cast don't bother me at all to be honest, still a lovely photo.

I'm not as keen on the second one, I don't like that feather headband thing at all!

Apologies to OP for posting an edit of your image.

MOD EDIT_OP DOESNT ALLOW EDITED VERSIONS, MUCH THE SAME AS YOURSELF...

Last edited:
Little reminder people - if the OP hasn't got the Edit's OK Box Ticked, please don't takeit upon yourselves to post edits - helpful or not, the OP doesn't want their work edited, please respect their wishes...

I'm sorry I didn't notice that and without checking saw the other edit so decided to have a go. I do apologise to the OP.

Back