Very strange ....

Cobra

Gregory House
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Today, well yesterday now, I bought two packs of Cigarettes from my local Tesco express.
The packets were sealed and identical there was no outward signs of anything, except I now notice a different bar code on the bottom of one.
The right hand side one.
(Bare with me )

IMAG0569.jpg

But inside ( of the right hand side one)
I found this..
I know what it say's it is, but I've never seen one before, and I assume that its not complete ..
This begs all sorts of questions really ...
Very strange....

IMAG0568.jpg

Last edited:
Obviously weren't destined for the local Tesco express via a barcode. (would have been in a pack). So placed personally.

Right hand side photo, original barcode is upside down and the additional barcode on top is for something else. e.g. alert staff member to put this item back ?. Different graphics also.

Looks like a surveillance device of some sort or otherwise ????. Alert the local tesco branch or police.

Dougie.

Last edited:
That is bizarre. What did Tesco say when you contacted them?

Had a quick look on google there and the Telit part of that device is a GSM GPRS device. It's a cheap chinese one that is available on the likes of Aliexpress. From your photo it seems to show a sim card there as well so this will be currently broadcasting a signal to somewhere.

Perhaps it is something they put in with there cigarette deliveries so they can track them in case they go walkies and it has just got mixed up with the real stock by mistake.

Got to be worth a story in the Daily Fail. :D

TESCO BUGGED MY FAGS!

Last edited:
Perhaps it is something they put in with there cigarette deliveries so they can track them in case they go walkies and it has just got mixed up with the real stock by mistake.

Also my thinking, perhaps get in contact with the manufacturer as it was likely them that put it there and may be able to shine some light on the situation!

Also my thinking, perhaps get in contact with the manufacturer as it was likely them that put it there and may be able to shine some light on the situation!
Maybe Trading Standards might have an idea or HMRC.

My first thought, since there is an added barcode label, was that some Chinese factory is recycling fag packets for their products - they are cheap, well made and surprisingly strong. I can’t see how it would get into a genuine consignment of fags though.

That's if 20+ body armour clad heavies from the local constabulary don't smash your door down first in a morning raid :)

SAS strike heading your way Chris, Big Brother has finally caught up with you :p:ROFLMAO:

If it is still being tracked what fun you could have with the trackers!:police:

Yes its a tracker I would say. Its probably worth much more than the fags lol.

Were you by any chance carrying a Zenit Photosniper and wearing a balaclava against the cold at the time? At least the tracker is less dangerous to your health, unless they call an armed response unit.

I'm going to guess the assistant scanned the genuine packet twice, as they sometimes do when selling multiples of the same item.

alert staff member to put this item back ?.
Good point, that worked then didn't it ? :D
. Different graphics also.
The graphics / wording does alter randomly from I assume different batches.

Agree its probably a security device intended to stay on the shelf that would be used to track a criminal in the event of a smash and grab.
Good point Not sure why it says "wireless Charger" though. If it was purely an "in house" tracker
That is bizarre. What did Tesco say when you contacted them?
Nothing yet, I only found it late last night.

That's if 20+ body armour clad heavies from the local constabulary don't smash your door down first in a morning raid :)
So far so good :D

Yes its a tracker I would say.
I KNEW "They" were out to get me!
Dear Government 1984 is work of fiction, not an instruction manual!
:D

I'm going to guess the assistant scanned the genuine packet twice,
I wouldn't be surprised at that.

Thanks for all the reply guys, I knew I could count on Yoo's.

Now the problem I have is do I contact the media, police, Donald Trump, or Tesco first?
Or even as @Bearair suggested, send it Air mail to some far flung place?

I assume that they wouldn't be tracking it as a matter of course, unless there had been an incident though?

Good point Not sure why it says "wireless Charger" though. If it was purely an "in house" tracker

There'll be a wireless charger on the shelf where it was taken from, it's to keep the battery topped up so it operates for as long as possible once off site.

I assume that they wouldn't be tracking it as a matter of course, unless there had been an incident though?

According to the blurb on the GPS module its transmits its location every 6 seconds.

On the bright side, I think you solved the Juxtaposition shoehorn!

There'll be a wireless charger on the shelf where it was taken from, it's to keep the battery topped up so it operates for as long as possible once off site.
According to the blurb on the GPS module its transmits its location every 6 seconds.

Ah Ok thanks guys :) I'll just sit here and wait for a knock on the door then :D
Edit I hear distant sirens :D

Last edited:
Good point, that worked then didn't it ? :D

I KNEW "They" were out to get me!
Dear Government 1984 is work of fiction, not an instruction manual!

If only that were true.”1984” is remarkably close to where we are now. Remember that most people in “1984” thought everything was normal and believed BB.

Oh well that's the CEO emailed I'll let you know where we go from here :)

(Bare with me )
Very weird, Cobby old chap. And, btw, it's 'bear with me', not 'bare with me'... unless you're getting undressed and wanted us to do the same ;)

I've heard of the 'anti-smoking police' but I think that's going a bit far! :D Alternatively, if someone knocks on the door and says something like 'The geese are flying home early this year' be afraid, be very afraid! :naughty:

Ha! I like your style (y)

I've heard of the 'anti-smoking police' but I think that's going a bit far! :D
I knew that they track your purchases through your club card, but this is taking it a bit too far surely?

if someone knocks on the door and says something like 'The geese are flying home early this year' be afraid, be very afraid! :naughty:
Ooops and I thought they were canvassing for the RSPB :D

If it is broadcasting then there must be a battery somewhere. Think I'd remove that PDQ.

Look on the bright side, if you can find a receiver for it then you've got a free ferret finder! :D

If it is broadcasting then there must be a battery somewhere. Think I'd remove that PDQ.
Not bothered TBH. If they want it they can come and get it, as long as they bring me something in return that is ;)

Or I might just take it for a little ride later, just for the hell of it :D

Look on the bright side, if you can find a receiver for it then you've got a free ferret finder! :D
I already have one ( ferret finder that is) :D
But TBH I think its a bit big for a ferret to carry around, my mate on the other hand has a golden eagle ................. :D

Not sure when Bewick's Swans go back to Russia...

Actually, thinking about it, you'd probably be better off just taking it back to the shop... at today's prices, the tracker probably cost less than a packet of 20 cigarettes does! ;)

Last edited:
at today's prices, the tracker probably cost a lot less than a packet of 20 cigarettes does!
You are probably right, but as above, I emailed the CEO of Tesco.
Lets see how much (Financially) he is embarrassed by this :D

I have a feeling she scanned one packet twice. Had she scanned them individually the sticker barcode wouldn’t have gone through and she would have known to put it back as it was the theft tracker.

If your phone has a micro USB charging connector, you can pull that wireless charger off the 007 wotsit and fit it under your phone cover to upgrade your phone (you'll need to get a wireless charging base though).
Removing the SIM card will stop it talking to base, but I suspect no one actually checks the units locations unless a store reports a robbery.

If your phone has a micro USB charging connector, you can pull that wireless charger off the 007 wotsit and fit it under your phone cover to upgrade your phone (you'll need to get a wireless charging base though).
I've no idea what you just said :D

but I suspect no one actually checks the units locations unless a store reports a robbery.
I suspect the same thing tbh

Back