Video / Drones

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

I currently have a youtube channel which is mainly gaming but im looking at doing some landscape videos and possibly getting a drone. (Ide love a DJI Phantom but they are so expensive :()

I did have a quick go with the iphone 5 which I have but the video isn't very good at all.

I do have a DSLR 60D with the 18-50 sigma - 10-20mm sigma and 70-200mm L lens. I don't have it with me currently but im guessing the footage should be ok with the 18-50 f2.8 sigma?

I would like some aerial footage one day which will mean getting a drone. I was tempted to get an action camera like the SJ5000 and buy a drone in which it can fit on. I think some drones are designed to fit a GoPro but if you want to run a cheaper action camera like the SJ5000 you need to DIY it to make it fit?

I don't want to spend £600-£1000 on a DJI drone when I may not use it a lot.

Anyone here use a drone and which setup/drone do you have?

I have been pricing other drones up and by the time you get the drone itself with the action cam it comes to around £350 if not more so this may be the option ile go for.

Argos it probably.

Including the gimbal?

Including the gimbal?

Not sure to be fair but I know the video quality of the DJI phantoms is awsome even the 2.7k version :)

A lot of the drones in which you attach action cams to need to be altered or just tape the action camera on it :confused: GoPro cameras are great but £250-£350 a long arent they.

I was a bit surprised when I found out the extra batteries for the DJI Phantom 3 are £100 alone :confused:

Last edited:
Not sure to be fair but I know the video quality of the DJI phantoms is awsome even the 2.7k version :)

A lot of the drones in which you attach action cams to need to be altered or just tape the action camera on it :confused: GoPro cameras are great but £250-£350 a long arent they.

I was a bit surprised when I found out the extra batteries for the DJI Phantom 3 are £100 alone :confused:

You can't expect to do landscape videos without using a gimbal.

You can't expect to do landscape videos without using a gimbal.

True, the video I watched did have a gimbal on the drone but the he just taped the SJCAM5000 to the gimbal.

Atleast with the Phantom I won't feel the need to upgrade. If I get something a little cheaper ile probably end up wanting to upgrade within a year lol

Trust us, don't go with a stuck-on gopro solution.
Apart from the all but essential gimbal you won't be able to frame your scene as the FPV transmission is a further complicated add on which won't reach half as far as phantoms stock.
With Phantom you can stop start video, take photo on demand, adjust settings in flight if not happy- otherwise all this is to do before start and you have no idea what you actually captured until later.

At this time the best economical option is undoubtedly the Phantom3 Advanced.
With one extra battery this is all you need to get started, other than some kind of case to carry it perhaps - and a tablet/phone you might already have.

Go with lower cost option and you will be so frustrated that in a few weeks you'll get the real deal as a second purchase.
Phantom 3 and later are ridiculously easy to fly.

Last edited:
Trust us, don't go with a stuck-on gopro solution.
Apart from the all but essential gimbal you won't be able to frame your scene as the FPV transmission is a further complicated add on which won't reach half as far as phantoms stock.
With Phantom you can stop start video, take photo on demand, adjust settings in flight if not happy- otherwise all this is to do before start and you have no idea what you actually captured until later.

At this time the best economical option is undoubtedly the Phantom3 Advanced.
With one extra battery this is all you need to get started, other than some kind of case to carry it perhaps - and a tablet/phone you might already have.

Go with lower cost option and you will be so frustrated that in a few weeks you'll get the real deal as a second purchase.
Phantom 3 and later are ridiculously easy to fly.

Thank you :)

To be fair ile probably get the DJI Phantom (Standard) and get a battery in the future.

If only I was a big enough youtuber, ide get one sent to review lol

im with 4wd here go with the 3 advanced as a minimum, for that little extra it will be worth it, i have the phantom 4 and its an amazing piece of kit just wish i could afford one to fit an slr under for better quality.

im with 4wd here go with the 3 advanced as a minimum, for that little extra it will be worth it, i have the phantom 4 and its an amazing piece of kit just wish i could afford one to fit an slr under for better quality.
Do both work with the iPhone 5 now? I did read 5s upwards but then there has been updates/more support. I have managed to download the app so im guessing it is supported now?

Phantom 3 advanced model is the best value drone on the market! It seems to go pretty cheap second hand these days !!

Back