Video Editing Software for Mac

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I've recently started getting into a bit of video as oppose to stills using a GoPro and a Mavic Pro. I'm after a decent editing package for the mac that is not too much money (Adobe Premier Pro is far too much for me at the moment considering I'm new).

I've started using iMovie, but I want a bit more control/editing capabilities (I might possibly be ignorant as to iMovie's features so correct me if I'm wrong)

Can anyone recommend some software that is not going to cost too much, but will not be too limiting for me.

Appreciate the response.

Tim

Take a look at Final Cut Pro X which offers a fully functional trial from the Apple website or DaVinci Resolve which also offers a trial and has come down in price as the new version is in Beta. See if they offer more than iMovie and then you'll be in a better position to see if want to spend for a powerful editing software.

Take a look at Final Cut Pro X which offers a fully functional trial from the Apple website or DaVinci Resolve which also offers a trial and has come down in price as the new version is in Beta. See if they offer more than iMovie and then you'll be in a better position to see if want to spend for a powerful editing software.
I did a quick look at final cut, but I saw that it was £300 for the software, which is a bit too much at the moment considering I'm about to be made redundant and not sure if video is my kind of thing yet. I'm a bit dubious about doing the trial as I'm worried about getting used to something that I'd end up not being able to justify purchasing. Did that make any sense?

Have a look at Da Vinci Resolve.

Just noticed redline's post but yeah Resolve is great value.

Last edited:
Am I right in seeing that this is now free? Didn't realise it was from BlackMagic. Sounds like I've found my winner! Thanks Guys

Blackmagic are making great inroads into the market. The older 12.5 version is indeed free along with the Beta for 14. The Beta is known to be buggy so give 12.5 a go and see how you get on.

Blackmagic are making great inroads into the market. The older 12.5 version is indeed free along with the Beta for 14. The Beta is known to be buggy so give 12.5 a go and see how you get on.

Excellent. Thanks.

Yeah I stumbled across BlackMagic Resolve while looking for something to make slideshows, it's great!

I figure they're giving it away free in the hope that budding videomakers become professional ones and buy their desks

I used to use Premier Pro... but it's a lot more program than I really need; I'm just using iMovie now for basic editing. If I need to I'll run the audio through Audacity (seldom), and optimize for upload using handBrake (always).

If you come from iMovie then Final Cut is the easiest to transit into. I can understand your frustration with iMove, it has got a bit too simplistic over the years. Lots more features but not as controlable. Great for the home movie maker but not so good if you want to be a bit more creative. Yes FCPX is £300, but since I bought mine nearly 3 years ago, I've had free updates, so not a bad invetment.

Resolve is Free(ish) There are two options the free versions with loads of features, and the Studio version ( £300 ) with all the more complex and tasty stuff ( such as noise reduction. ). Resolve is a professional grade editing suit so it may take some time to get your head around. There are lots of free tutorials on the web as well as paid for ones. I'd start of with Resolve V12.5 as it has been out for a while now and there are tutorials available. V14 is new ( about 6 weeks and is still Beta) so it may be some time before any free tutorials are available. Everything now seems to just highlight the new stuff. Which is fine if you are familiar with the system, but not so helpful if you are new to it.

Back