Video Editing software

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies if this has been asked before but I have only seen one recent post.
Never been into video work before but just bought a Sony RX100 which has a video option (AVCHD; MP4 etc) so which software would be good to start with.
I'm after something that will add text to the video. My main interest is stills so probably will not be doing much video work unless it is infectious??
I use Lightroom 4 and CS6 on Windows.
Appreciate any help
Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been asked before but I have only seen one recent post.
Never been into video work before but just bought a Sony RX100 which has a video option (AVCHD; MP4 etc) so which software would be good to start with.
I'm after something that will add text to the video. My main interest is stills so probably will not be doing much video work unless it is infectious??
I use Lightroom 4 and CS6 on Windows.
Appreciate any help
Thanks
Dave

It depends on what you want to spend.

I really like Lightworks, but it isn't for everyone.

http://www.lwks.com/

You would need to convert AVCHD to something more editor friendly, but there are instructions here: http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=30817&Itemid=81

Many thanks for the links. I've had a look at Lightworks recently and don't really want to be spending £40 per year on something I may only use a few times a month and think the free option is pretty limited
Thanks
Dave

Lightworks is hardly suitable for someone just starting.

I rather like Corel Video studio especially if you plan to upload to youtube, vimeo and several others it's all integrated.
It came pre-installed with this laptop.
Windows own Moviemaker does quite a good job too with basics such as joining clips, transitions (less is more!) and titling.

Thanks Guys, really appreciate your help.
I think one of the basic packages will do me for now, so have downloaded Windows movie maker and will look at Corel and Serif as another option.....really just need something to join and edit clips + add text as titles etc.
BUT.....with any basic package would I need to use MP4 only or is AVCHD an option??
Thanks again
Dave

Last edited:
Try Sony Vegas movie studio.

Very versatile and, quite cheap.

I'm gonna guess you're on a PC :(

If not then Fotomagico is remarkably good for just gluing stuff together. You can composite clips and drop on audio.

On a Mac I've used:
1. Handbrake (free) to convert MTS to MP4
2. Quicktime (free) to trim clips
3. iMovie (£10.49 from the App store) to composite, grade and tinker
4. Fotomagico to blend with stills for high quality slideshows.

I suspect you could do everything in iMovie but the import process is a little slow.

Going forward I'll be using Final Cut.

Many Thanks, yes on a pc. I'll check out all those options mentioned.
My computer magazine, Computeractive, this week, gives a good write up for the Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 12 at £35 so thats another option for me
Dave

I know you can do it with a video converter program from appgeeker.com. It has basic video editing function like trim, crop, add image/text onto videos, merge/split, adjust effect, etc. have a try, guy.

BTW, I haven't done this in a long while and dont know if it still works, because i am using iMac now.

Cator.

Last edited:
Sony Vegas pro - Very easy to use and ideal for what you want.

What about iMovie?

Cyberlink Power Director 11 is really good with the easiest interface combined with great video compression option and the choice to upload direct to YouTube. I have Adobe Pro and Sony Vegas to but rarely use them now

This is what I use as I'm new: http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Editor.aspx

It's not very expensive, at the moment (until Oct 31) you can get an unlimited subscription for $59 USD (70% off).

It's subscription based - but you get all the software. So you get the video editor, a video converter and a lot of useful programs so it's not really that expensive.

It's good and easy to use - and I really like the interface.

This is what I use as I'm new: http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Editor.aspx

It's not very expensive, at the moment (until Oct 31) you can get an unlimited subscription for $59 USD (70% off).

It's subscription based - but you get all the software. So you get the video editor, a video converter and a lot of useful programs so it's not really that expensive.

It's good and easy to use - and I really like the interface.

+1 Works well with .MTS from my Pano' SD700 - if not, use Handbrake to transcode first.

Another vote for Sony Vegas.

Have been using it for a few years now (upgrading whenever a new version is released), for editing ACVHD video, and find it excellent.

If anyone is interested I have an unused Adobe Premier Elements 11 that is 'up for grabs' at a bargain price (currently £70 from Amazon).

It came free with my new EOS 5D Mkll, but I'm sticking with the Sony Vegas that I know.

Dave

Last edited:
Cheap, cheerful and does what it says on the tin is Movie Edit Pro ;) It seemed basic when I started using it a couple of years ago but still doing the job. Good for multicam editing too.

Adobe Premiere Elements is very intuitive to use. Sony Movie Studio (they dropped the 'Vegas' from the name recently) is currently only £16.99 for the Platinum 12 version and £24.99 for the entire Platinum 12 Suite, which includes Sound Forge audio editing software and DVD Architect for buildling menu-driven DVDs, and so is probably the best value around at the moment, especially since it's at least as full-featured as the others, as far as I can see.

Adobe Premiere Elements is very intuitive to use. Sony Movie Studio (they dropped the 'Vegas' from the name recently) is currently only £16.99 for the Platinum 12 version and £24.99 for the entire Platinum 12 Suite, which includes Sound Forge audio editing software and DVD Architect for buildling menu-driven DVDs, and so is probably the best value around at the moment, especially since it's at least as full-featured as the others, as far as I can see.
That's a very good price for the Sony software.

Back