Video Editing

Edit My Images
Yes
I have just ordered a 650D. It doesnt appear to come with any Video Editing Software? Any recommendations?

I have just ordered a 650D. It doesnt appear to come with any Video Editing Software? Any recommendations?

If you're a Mac user I can recommend final cut pro, it's quite expensive but does a really good job. I've also used premier elements and it's available in both Mac and PC format, I would recommend it.

Thank you both for that. How does Premiere Elements compare with Windows Movie Editor or the Editing software that would come with a Mac?

Last edited:
Thank you both for that. How does Premiere Elements compare with Windows Movie Editor or the Editing software that would come with a Mac?

Lightworks is a free download. As used by The Queen's Speech.

This looks amazing. Thanks for this - I cant believe its free.

productions.jpg

They make money selling access to Professional codecs and access to their EditShare network.

I can highly recommend watching the Quick Start videos on the Lightworks website.

As they've promised to release the source in the near future (once the Linux version is released as stable), I expect to see some incremental additions to the community version. I'd love to see them include FFMBC as a renderer/export client as that successfully opens and saves all the major camera and edit codecs in use today.

I can highly recommend watching the Quick Start videos on the Lightworks website.

As they've promised to release the source in the near future (once the Linux version is released as stable), I expect to see some incremental additions to the community version. I'd love to see them include FFMBC as a renderer/export client as that successfully opens and saves all the major camera and edit codecs in use today.

Yes they are excellent. I dont have my 650D yet, but I have been trying to edit mp4 from my samsung galaxy and even after converting the mp4 to AVI or MP2 it wont run them on the free version.
What is the file format for HD video on the 650D?

It'll be some flavour of H.264.

It looks like someone has already written an FFMBC based plugin to allow you to work on any format that FFMBC can supply (which is just about every video codec in use).

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=30817&Itemid=81#30817

PS for those unfamiliar with editing, a proxy is a low bitrate, low resolution version of the video. You edit that and then replace with the full quality video once the edit is complete.

Last edited:
It'll be some flavour of H.264.

It looks like someone has already written an FFMBC based plugin to allow you to work on any format that FFMBC can supply (which is just about every video codec in use).

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=30817&Itemid=81#30817

PS for those unfamiliar with editing, a proxy is a low bitrate, low resolution version of the video. You edit that and then replace with the full quality video once the edit is complete.

What is H.264 and FFMBC? I am new to the complications of video files :LOL:

This looks interesting thank you. I will give it a try.

What is H.264 and FFMBC? I am new to the complications of video files :LOL:

This looks interesting thank you. I will give it a try.

H.264 is also known as MPEG4 Advanced Video Codec. It's a video codec standardised at the ITU that's widely used.

It's a very broad standard, from which you can pick various profiles to implement (or create your own profile). One profile is used in the UK for Freeview HD. Another profile has been defined by camera manufacturers and is called AVCHD, yet another profile is called AVCIntra. (there are loads of profiles out there)

FFMBC and FFMPEG are both open source programmes for encoding video. They can handle just about every major camera and edit codec (and profile) in use.

So in this case, FFMBC is used (with a nice graphical interface) to convert the files from your camera to a file that can be used in Lightworks.

Excellent. Thank you. Wouldnt it be good if there was just one video file type :bonk:

Lightworks is likely to be pretty demanding of your computer hardware though if it costs nowt then it's got to be worth a try.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio runs well on older machines. You can often find it for about £30.

Last edited:
Lightworks is likely to be pretty demanding of your computer hardware though if it costs nowt then it's got to be worth a try.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio runs well on older machines. You can often find it for about £30.

Thank you for that.

On the subject of computer demand, I have just received my 650D and tried a short Video but its not at all smooth on my PC using the Canon software. I guess its going to be time for a PC upgrade??. Currently running a Dell Vostro, 2GB Ram with a 667mhz Processor?

It's lack of processing power and/or video card designed before HD was thought of.
My old desktop is like this, however it can actually work with the file (slowly!) - just not view it without jerking.
It's the same with HD video on youtube - anything above 720p is like bad stop motion.

On the subject of computer demand, I have just received my 650D and tried a short Video but its not at all smooth on my PC using the Canon software. I guess its going to be time for a PC upgrade??. Currently running a Dell Vostro, 2GB Ram with a 667mhz Processor?

Yes, you'll need to upgrade.

In the meantime, convert the video to a smaller size and it should playback fine.

Yes, you'll need to upgrade.

In the meantime, convert the video to a smaller size and it should playback fine.

Thanks dan, can you tell me how to do that please? Presumably it is better to do that for uploading to youtube?

Back