Video file quality

Edit My Images
No
I mainly confine myself to still photography but was recently asked to shoot a couple of short promotional films for work. All went well with shooting (just using Sony Handycam) and editing with Pinnacle but when I came to save the files the mpegs were decidedly fuzzy whereas if I saved as Windows media file they were very sharp. I can see that there is a large file size difference between the two. Some of the means by which I want to show the films will not accept the Windows file. Is ther another foster which will give me quality and will be widely usable or am I missing something simple. Please educate me.

Is there a file size/quality selector in the Save menu or setup options?

I will check again but if there is they've hidden it well. Maybe I should. Ask a teenager to help me out

Try saving as MP4 files. MP4 will support 1080P HD video so it should hive you the quality you want

Try saving as MP4 files. MP4 will support 1080P HD video so it should hive you the quality you want

MP4 is a file wrapper format, same as AVI, MOV etc.

You need to specify the wrapper format, the video codec and settings (inc. bitrate) and the audio codec and settings (inc. bitrate).

If you can't set these in the output dialogue of the edit software, then download something like Handbrake (which is a user interface to the very powerful FFMPEG encoder) and convert the WMV file to high quality H.264/MPEG4/MPEG2/whatever.

Can recommend the option to use handbrake, if you are going to re-encode, see if you can just render out using an uncompressed option as well. This way you won't compress for WMV and then again in Handbrake which could lose you some quality.

Back