Video help on 7D

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive not had this 7D for long and being my first ever DSLR im still learning bits an bobs.
Ive pretty much got the pictures side of it nailed but still learning bits and bobs.

Anyway, ive tried changing a few of the settings on the video recording part but when ever i play the video back on the PC, it always seems to judder alot or the pixels go hay wire, some times the picture will freeze after a few seconds but the audio is continues.

I have a 90mbs speed scandisk card, is there anything i need to do to get a better playback, ive used the 640x480 and its not worth bothering with.

Sounds to me more like your computer is not up to the job of playing back the HD video.

Agreed. What are the specs of the computer that you're trying to edit/playback on?

It sounds like it's not powerful enough to handle the video.

What program are you trying to edit it in? H264 produces bigish files and is sometimes not the easiest format to edit with.

As others have pointed out it may well be the PC.

Are you trying to play off the card directly or have you copied the files to the computer?

Do you have a "media" drive in the computer (i.e. not the main boot driver where Windows is installed)? That can improve things dramatically.

What programme are you trying to view it with?

I sometimes need to render files before I can view them and my "media" drive (on my home PC) is in fact 4 600GB drives in a Raid 0 configuration!

Anyway, ive tried changing a few of the settings on the video recording part but when ever i play the video back on the PC, it always seems to judder alot or the pixels go hay wire, some times the picture will freeze after a few seconds but the audio is continues.

At the data rate and compression that the 7D uses out of camera, only a very up-to-date computer is up to the task of rendering it well. It is almost compulsory to use a desktop, simply because virtually all laptops won't even have enough resolution to display the 1080p footage, and will also have to view the 720p footage in full screen.

It is almost compulsory to use a desktop, simply because virtually all laptops won't even have enough resolution to display the 1080p footage, and will also have to view the 720p footage in full screen.

You can still view the footage on your laptop but it will be scaled down to 720p. When I'm using my laptop only I normally convert the footage with MPEG Streamclip into a more manageable file format and then view/edit on the laptop. MPEG streamclip is free software.

This does sound rather like the PC's inability to keep up with the required processing for HD-quality video playback, although I'm no expert in this field.

I've not experienced any problems with playback from 7D video capture (on any resolution setting) and I'm running Mac OS X with 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It's not a really dated spec, I know, but my hard drive's full to bursting and there are still no issues with playback. Just bagged a 1TB portable HD to free up some space

Back