Video/movie recording with Nikon D750

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
As a new owner of this camera I was keen to try out the video facility as I heard it produced very high quality images.
I set about reading the manual and while it was full of discussion about various settings, I couldn't find out what I had to do about focusing. On using the camera it appeared to work on a point and shoot basis on the normal AF-S setting. After recording a lot of videos of marching bands approaching and moving away from the camera I am less than impressed with the results. I mounted the camera on a monopod and could hold it very still.
Should I have been using the AF-C mode? Perhaps that's where my problems lie?
I also posted some onto Facebook and was similarly disappointed.
Does Facebook curtail the quality/resolution of the video they publish? I have heard that a digital SLR produces much higher quality images than your typical camcorder?
Merv

As a new owner of this camera I was keen to try out the video facility as I heard it produced very high quality images.
I set about reading the manual and while it was full of discussion about various settings, I couldn't find out what I had to do about focusing. On using the camera it appeared to work on a point and shoot basis on the normal AF-S setting. After recording a lot of videos of marching bands approaching and moving away from the camera I am less than impressed with the results. I mounted the camera on a monopod and could hold it very still.
Should I have been using the AF-C mode? Perhaps that's where my problems lie?
I also posted some onto Facebook and was similarly disappointed.
Does Facebook curtail the quality/resolution of the video they publish? I have heard that a digital SLR produces much higher quality images than your typical camcorder?
Merv
I can't help I'm afraid as have never used the video function on my D750, but it might be worth while posting this in the D750 thread to see if anyone can help?

I don't shoot with a D750 but any camera shooting in AF-S(ingle) mode will lock focus when you half press then will remain focussed on that point regardless of what moves. That would explain why your video wouldn't remain focussed on a moving object so yes, I'd suggest you should use AF-C(ontinuous). Could you not see that your video wasn't focussed as you were shooting it using live view?

With regards to Facebook, yes videos and images are compressed on upload so you would be better off uploading it to Vimeo or YouTube in full HD quality then linking to it from Facebook.

Thanks Steve. Yes in hindsight I do recall seeing some out of focus stuff but tweaked the manual override to correct. Wrong move it wasn't a great success. AF-C correct solution.
Good point about utube must do that
On a focusing point, now using AF-C and the clicking of the continuous autofocus adjustment can be clearly heard. I have read this complaint in other reviews and is rather annoying. Any comment?
Thanks for reply Steve
Merv

Possibly better to keep this in one thread to avoid double posts and confusion.

Thanks Steve. Yes in hindsight I do recall seeing some out of focus stuff but tweaked the manual override to correct. Wrong move it wasn't a great success. AF-C correct solution.
Good point about utube must do that
On a focusing point, now using AF-C and the clicking of the continuous autofocus adjustment can be clearly heard. I have read this complaint in other reviews and is rather annoying. Any comment?
Thanks for reply Steve
Merv
Perhaps an off camera mic? I don't do video these days, but when I did use a DSLR I always focused manually, so that may be an option too.

You need to use manual focus to get the best results for video. Also Facebook will dramatically reduce the quality of any video you upload use Vimeo instead and if you need to post to Facebook just post the Vimeo link.

Thanks for that and take the point about double posting.
Although connected, I thought as I had another specific query it would be better to start a separate thread. Point taken

Back