Video on a DSLR - advice req

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Our school was looking to purchase a half decent video camera and camera however the budgets just won't stretch so it has been suggested to pick up a DSLR with video recording facility, something like the Canon Eos 70D.

We're not after high quality recordings, just something better than our current ageing sub £100 compact cam corder. half decent sound quality is a must and i was hoping we could get a shotgun mic that will fit on the flash shoe. I do know my way round a camera, and work in audio just not the video related side of things and accessories.

Typical use is for regular school photography inc low light shooting at shows etc and obviously the video recording of events.

Budget is around £800-£1000 ex vat for camera, mic, tripod etc and was wondering realistically what we could get for the buck. Canon was suggested as a couple of staff have lenses we could borrow

Thanks

700d and kit lens + sirui tripod + audio technika levalier mic + rohde video mic + 2 Yongnuo 120 LED video lamps and cheap stands.

You may have enough left for a 50 mm.

Lightworks free edition plus the bbc college of production website

Students would find it much easier to use a traditional camcorder from Canon or Sony there are several very good models available for under £1000. I just think that having a DSLR is asking for trouble especially with the interchangeable lenses. Traditional camcorders have powered smooth zoom lenses as opposed to DSLR's which are better manually focused and not recommended for zooming whilst recording. You can buy a Canon HF G25, Rode video mic, Led Video Light and tripod for under £850

Thanks for the replies. My only gripe with a dedicated video camera is that we don't have a decent stills camera for the shows etc and i estimate we'd be taking more pics than video. Students would only be using the camera under strict supervision so that shouldn't create such a problem. We found a good deal on a 70D body only but didn't really leave much for a tripod and mic, which i don't want to skimp on so maybe the 700D would be a better option. I was going to donate my kit lens to save a few quid and loan my 50mm as and when but we could budget for the job lot.

Cheers

I'm with Rob, video camera for videoing. You know about the 4gb recording limit of the DSLR's which will restrict recording time to about 15 minutes continuous (not withstanding ML)? Far greater zoom and a lot easier/faster focusing on a video camera.

Back