Video Shoot - Canon 5dmk3 vs Iphone 14 vs ".........."

Name
kane
Edit My Images
No
I was askd to shoot a 3 minute walkthrough on a. house yesterday, traditioanlly I am a photographer. But am able to shoot video on tripods and apply my cinematic eye to film no problem.
I thought I would give it a go.

No gimble, was hoping to use heavy tripod as a counter weight... It didn't work. I was following a person as they moved through the house. The AF-L mode in video seemed to have a tracking box that followed a face but I was not very convinced.

Also it became apparent that the Canon 5dmk3 also has very weak focus tracking. I found the AF-L mode in video, not sure it really worked.

It made me think, would an Iphone 14 with gimbal be better than this? As it's al for social media only.

Or what would be a good modern release for this? R6? Sony A?

My daughter has used an old S8 for walk through videos, I was amazed to see no "walking motion" and the quality was good for ordinary HD TV, so I wonder if you would need a gimbal?

If the light is OK and it's for social media a new phone and gimbal will give you good results, particularly if you have an eye for composition. If you want the to record the person talking you probably want something like a rode GO.

When people ask me what camera they should get for interior work I normally suggest they upgrade their phone first.

I have always liked the mottos 'the best camera is the one in your hand' and have to admit the power of the new phones can't come close to giving portfolio like quality, but the idea of using a dedicatd DSLR/Mirrorless, offloading onto mac, editing in premiere, exporting, adding back to phone, and then adding to socials seems a long way around for neglible results, for something that is only going to be viewed on a small screen anyway.

I am still using an old iphone 8, camera broken also... I could get more work with this company so wondering if I should just upgrade to a newer iphone and a gimbal.

Do we know if you can link up wireless mics to iphone??? Or even directional mics?

My Samsung A52s has very impressive video, it damps out movement amazingly well, I'd guess a new Iphone would be at least as good.

Do we know if you can link up wireless mics to iphone??? Or even directional mics?
You can connect a wireless mic to the iphone, you do need a lightning to headphone cable then a rode SC7 cable or similar. I would consider getting a phone cage which is going to make mic mounting and cable control easier.

You shouldn't even need a gimble with an iPhone, it works really well through a little hardware and mostly software.

Especially if you try to stablising it, but as long as you don't go around swinging, it is very smooth.

I know a video guy that used the latest iPhone as a b cam (usually the wider shot), in well lit interview shoots.

The rode wireless go had an iPhone adapter available, giving wireless capabilities.

It is something I have been toying with lately, not only to save my back with the lugging about of heavy gear, but also to look less 'in your face' at events! Just not sure the ability of low light is quite there yet.

The Samsung flagship has a 'director' mode where it records video from all cameras at full resolution, giving you wide, mid and narrow shots to edit afterwards!!!!

T

Back