Viewfinder clean

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know if it’s possible to remove the viewfinder and clean it on a 1dx ? . Thanks

Does anyone know if it’s possible to remove the viewfinder and clean it on a 1dx ? . Thanks

Firstly, why do you ask?

Having said that.
Simply answer IMO is no. Though many Canon dSLR have interchangeable focussing screens, therefore if the 1DX allows that it will reveal the lower surface of the pentaprism......... but neither that surface or the focusing screen are designed for end user cleaning other than a blower brush ~ other methods at users own risk!

If you simply mean cleaning the eyepiece "window", a microfiber cleaning cloth with a breath of warm air beforehand ;)

Firstly, why do you ask?

Having said that.
Simply answer IMO is no. Though many Canon dSLR have interchangeable focussing screens, therefore if the 1DX allows that it will reveal the lower surface of the pentaprism......... but neither that surface or the focusing screen are designed for end user cleaning other than a blower brush ~ other methods at users own risk!

If you simply mean cleaning the eyepiece "window", a microfiber cleaning cloth with a breath of warm air beforehand ;)
The dirt is inside the eyepiece

The dirt is inside the eyepiece

Is it not possible to (try to) just ignore it?

I would doubt there is an end user method to dismantle it.......and AFAIK if you did remove the eye piece structure that may reduce the 1DX weather proofing???

If it bothers you that greatly why not get a quote from Canon for the job and general clean whilst with them?

PS but if DiY is your thing, maybe there are some useful clues & tips here?

https://www.google.com/search?clien......0.0..4574...0.0..0.0.0.......0.sKLiIaqsoHo

Last edited:
I had a hair visable in the view finder on my old 50d. The hair was on the focus screen and was easily removed with a rocket blower. But it looked like it was inside the eye piece.

Back