Beginner Viewfinder help

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Is there a eye cup available that blanks out the eye you are not using when looking into viewfinder ? I can’t see anything but thought there was. I have a canon 60d .

Yes, there are many various eye cups available for many various make and modes of cameras. Canon, Nikon, Sony, and many others.

https://www.jackthehat.co.uk/hoodman-hoodeye-heyec18-eyecup-most-canon-models-p-657.html

https://ukcameraequipment.co.uk/pro...-t1i-xsi-xti-500d-450d-60d-50d-40d-uk-seller/

https://www.cameracentreuk.com/kood-eb-eye-cup-for-canon-50d-40d-30d-5d-ii-5d-60d-black

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-eyecup-eb-1016615/

Those are just a few out of many I can find on Google. Just a matter of keep trying to find one.

You need an eyepatch, although why you would want to block out the peripheral vision from your non using eye

Is there a eye cup available that blanks out the eye you are not using when looking into viewfinder ? I can’t see anything but thought there was. I have a canon 60d .

Can you say why you need to block the view from 'the other eye' ?

In other words what is the problem that you have that you believe blocking that eye will help you overcome.

I need coffee, lot of coffee, I re-read the OP's posting, and released I got it wrong.

So an eye cup for the other eye?

Well, as far as I know, nobody in the business would have thought of making one like that, which would be the reason why you [the OP] can't find anything on the Internet.

You could buy another eye cup, and try to MacGyver your own eye cup for your non-viewfinder eye? See if you can turn it into a home made one.

I find with both eyes open I don’t get a clear view through the viewfinder and if I close one eye it’s very uncomfortable after a while . Only one eye looks through the viewfinder so for me it’s a very straight forward question.

I find with both eyes open I don’t get a clear view through the viewfinder and if I close one eye it’s very uncomfortable after a while . Only one eye looks through the viewfinder so for me it’s a very straight forward question.

Hi Paul

Completely understandable, using an SLR has its 'disciplines' and how to handle the single eye view with other not involved is one of them.

Though right-handed my dominant eye is my left one so though I close my right eye if open there is lower visual distraction than for right eye dominant users.

As you have discovered there is no obvious product to cover the other eye for SLR users but can I ask......are you a glasses wearer?

Also, whether glasses or not have you adjusted the dioptre 'corrector/adjustment" on the viewfinder to make the 'view' fully in focus for the eye you use? Your description makes me wonder if you are using your non dominant eye and as such when leaving the other open your normal binocular vision & brain is showing an uncorrected viewfinder image

Hope that makes sense ?

Last edited:
I'm left-eye dominant, and always view through the left eye. It doesn't matter that the right eye is open because my brain disregards input through that when taking a photo.

The answer is an eye-patch. Boots or any chemist will sell them. You can flip it up out of the way between shots.

Thanks for the feedback I’m not really sure which is my dominant eye but I’ll get a normal eye cup which will help and experiment. Thanks to those who tried to help.

I know what you mean about keeping both eyes open being uncomfortable, but if you use your dominant eye through the view finder it should be something you could get used to.
I've just got back from four days photographing from the "Pit" at a music festival and keeping both eyes open can be, shall we say, to your advantage. :)

I know what you mean about keeping both eyes open being uncomfortable, but if you use your dominant eye through the view finder it should be something you could get used to.
I've just got back from four days photographing from the "Pit" at a music festival and keeping both eyes open can be, shall we say, to your advantage. :)
Yeah, having shot in a few worrying situations, I agree both eyes open, one taking photos, one looking for projectiles.

Saved a mate from a bottle (shall I just call it warm Jack Daniels...) at Donnington MoR 30 something years ago. Just managed to snag it about a foot from his head. Would have been very messy since it was a square glass bottle.

Back