Viewing RAW files on PC?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I downloaded some sort of camera codec yesterday that allows me to preview the Raw files as thumbnails, but when I click on them it opens up photoshop. Are there any programs that allow you to open up RAW files in the standard "Windows Photo Viewer" like when you click on a normal Jpeg?

I don't want to keep opening up photoshop to look at the RAW files or even keep taking jpeg+raw because it's just more fuss to delete all the Jpegs. Basically I take Jpeg + Raw because I like to have a close look through all my shots before I decide which ones I'm going to use, then I'll use the corresponding RAW file. If I can get Jpegs out of the equation it will be a lot easier.

PS: no I'm not starting a RAW vs Jpeg thread lol

Last edited:
I have the codec for Windows 8.1 and have no problem viewing my Nikon NEF/Raw files in either thumbnail or full size in Windows Live gallery..after viewing I right click to select edit in Elements 11

Robin

Faststone :)

If you're using Canon, you could use DPP to view your RAW files..

As the computer is using Photoshop by default, you need to change the file association properties for RAW files.

Just downloaded Faststone as well, very good(y)

If you're using Canon, you could use DPP to view your RAW files..

As the computer is using Photoshop by default, you need to change the file association properties for RAW files.
I'm guessing DPP is Canon software that comes with the camera? If so I don't have my disc anymore from getting my 550D. I've not long ordered a 70D but not received it yet:(

When you get your new 70D the disc should also come with canon zoombrowser this is very good for viewing photos and I also use it to upload pictures with a card reader to the PC

Raw files don't contain coded pictures so it isn't a codec you need. Each Raw file format is camera model specific, so if you have a new camera, it can take a while for software to catch up.

As mentioned above, Faststone could be you answer ! :)

Raw files don't contain coded pictures so it isn't a codec you need. Each Raw file format is camera model specific, so if you have a new camera, it can take a while for software to catch up.
Surely all files contain coded information - isn't that what files are???

Faststone is doing the job for now (y) I'll wait and see what comes with the disc when I get my 70D:D

DPP serves the purpose well but I was not aware of the Microsoft codecs. Going to try them with Windows Photo Viewer now

Canon used to provide codecs for viewing raw files on Windows systems, but they only ran on 32-bit systems.
I wrote to Canon tech support over three years ago asking when 64-bit codecs were going to be available and I received the following reply:
"Thank you for contacting Canon Support.
In response to your query regarding a 64bit codec, kindly be advised there has not ever been a 64bit codec previously, and most likely there will not be one developed.
Kindly be advised all software is compatible, and you can use the software for all transferring, editing, and viewing needs."
So you either use DPP to view raw files on a 64-bit system or a third-party program.

The Microsoft codec pack mentioned previously works just fine, and is also free.

Last edited:

That's what MS call it... go argue with them :)

I downloaded some sort of camera codec yesterday that allows me to preview the Raw files as thumbnails, but when I click on them it opens up photoshop. Are there any programs that allow you to open up RAW files in the standard "Windows Photo Viewer" like when you click on a normal Jpeg?

I don't want to keep opening up photoshop to look at the RAW files or even keep taking jpeg+raw because it's just more fuss to delete all the Jpegs. Basically I take Jpeg + Raw because I like to have a close look through all my shots before I decide which ones I'm going to use, then I'll use the corresponding RAW file. If I can get Jpegs out of the equation it will be a lot easier.

PS: no I'm not starting a RAW vs Jpeg thread lol
If it's opening with Photoshop you just need to alter the file association so that it opens with photo viewer, or right click the thumbnail and choose open with and select from the list.

Unfortunately appears to be no Win8 support at all even from MS for viewing RAWs in explorer. It is a useful feature i miss to quickly skim through from explorer without having to load software.

Really? Who told you that?

Here's a folder of RAWs on my machine.

q6hadjd.jpg

...which runs Windows 8

I put a link in post #2 regarding this.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829#40804923619752187531

Install that.. which is from Microsoft BTW.... and you get RAW support in windows: Thumbnails in explorer, and even viewing them in Windows Photo Viewer, just like any other file.

Back