Views on Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR

Name
Martin Phipps
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for an upgraded telephoto to augment my Nikkor 18-135mm kit lens on a D80. I would like something in the range of 70-200 but with a reasonably fast capability within a budget of around the 500 mark. It would be for mixed use.

I have been looking at the:

Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR

Which seems a good fit, if a little on the large side when extended and maybe a tad slow although the VR feature makes it attractive. I have seem some good and some mixed reviews so I thought that I would ask your opinion

All comments welcome....

How about the sigma 70-200mm 2.8,lovely lens and very fast focusing.I used to have one but needed more reach so went for the 100-300mm f4,what will you be using the lens for?

Thanks Stuart - This looks like a possibility. It looks heavy though, I'll have to spend more time at the Gym!

I want the lens for fairly general use as i find the reach of the 135 just not quite enough and sometimes would like the option of the longer lens. Candid protraits are probably the one area that I would use this the most but I'm fairly new to photoraphy so I'm still exploring/experimenting/playing....

I think you will love the sigma..in all honesty its quite easy to handhold this lens,I always used to for long lengths of time..The 100-300mm is bigger still but again I fid hand holding fine with this also..
The 70-200mm would be great for candid shots.Another alternative is the nikon 180mm prime,very handleable and amazing image quality.

I've got the 70-300 VR and its a cracking lens, a few others on here have one also. Nice and light, quick focusing, no CA, and the VR function is amazing, I've done hand held shots at 300mm with a shutter speed of 1/60 and they are still sharp. For the money its a great lens, not having a constant 2.8 as the sigma mentioned above is the negative but then it would be a fortune.

The 2.8 of the sigma looks quite attractive I must admit - but I've heard such good things about the Nik VR system this is also tempting me. Awwww - I love making tough decision over such "toys".

I think that I'll need to try out the pair of them (and maybe some others) - does anyone know of a camera shop that is likely to let me try-before-I-buy ?? (Probably asking too much I suppose)

As a few have mentioned already the 70-300mmVR is a good compromise (sp?) between weight & size over the f2.8 zooms or the 100-300 f4 which I found to be too big & heavy
As long as you don't need more reach than 300mm the 70-300mmVR is one of the best out there imho ... Paul ;)

If you have a budget of £500 the 70-300mm would not be my first choice. It only costs around £330. I've got it and I can say it's a great lens but if I'd had 500 to spend I would have probably bought a faster lens.

Back