Views on the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 Lens

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
The only "landscape" lens I have at the minute is the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 and I am interested in the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 and wondered what others views were on this lens.

I know from reading about it that it is an exceptional lens but my concern in buying it is the thought of having to buy a whole new set of Lee filters which are far from cheap. There also appears to be no "Big Stopper" or polariser for this lens. How do you get on with the lack of filters for this lens?

Any help or advice at all would be most welcome.

I brought a copy of this lens from this forum a few weeks ago. I can't offer an opinion on filters, but things it's a wonderful lens.
The variety of situations it can be used in is very freeing. I am only a hobbyist, but really impressed by the results in combo with
a D700.

Here is a bunch taken inside Hornsey Town hall, hand held.

( Any distortion is because i couldn't be bothered to correct in PP )

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rTzj2L]

Inside Haringey Town Hall by sean azzopardi, on Flickr[/URL]

It is a brilliant lens with great image quality but needs care in use both to protect its bulbous front lens and in trying to avoid the inevitable distortion and to some extent flare. As you say filters for it are expensive, the Lee Kit including holder and one filter is eye-watering but the biggest problem is that so few filters are available.
If you are not going to need many filters then it is fine, though a recent post here from Stewart, (Lens Hire Co), highlighted the high number of these lenses he has had to send for repair!
If you are planning to be using a lot of filters you might want to look at the 16-35 but I would advise trying before you buy as there have been some copies that were not as good as the majority :)

Reactions: ST4
Lack of filters put me off taking one, however its a useful zoom range of focal lengths and is reportedly very sharp. If you're the sort of landscape tog who blends exposures i'ts probably just the thing, if you're not and a filter user, it probably isn't one you'd take.

I've got for the Ziess 21mm and since having it serviced its achingly sharp. Say add a Ziess 18mm and you are sorted for landscapes that need short FL's accross these two lens

I have used this lens since it was first released and wonder now how I used to manage a lot of my clients shots of interiors without it. (Yeah, ok primes), but the flexibility and IQ of this lens mean I use it more than any other for such shots these days. It saves a lot of time and it is the best tool for the job.

Ok, care with the front end is necessary, but if I damage it, then it will get replaced.

The lack of filters certainly wouldn't put me off, (screw ins are never going to be feasible) although I am pleased to note that Lee have just announced an improved Mk 2 version of their 150mm system specifically designed for this (and presumably the newly announced Canon 11-24mm equivalent), with less light spill, that include a polariser and big stopper.

Last edited:
I used to have this lens and it is as other have said a great lens. I ended up selling it as the expense of having to get new filters was too much. I now have the 16-35mm and I am very happy with that lens, it is worth considering it as an alternative option.

I really wanted this lens until a friend lent me his Nikon D800 and 14-24mm. I loved the photos and effect the really wide angle produced. Skies became more interesting and the extreme perspective was a revelation. It didn't work on every occasion but it really was amazing when it did. Sadly, I was so worried about damaging the lens I hardly took it out in the two weeks I had it. I didn't try it out at night and after returning it I kept a look out for the Samyang 14mm and 24mm lenses.

I'm very happy with their quality and much more relaxed about taking them out. The downside is I need a bag with me to store the lens I'm not currently using but the Samyang 14mm is a small lens compared to the Nikon even though it has a similar bulbous front element and needs a bespoke filter holder.

If you can get by with manual lenses they're worth trying out.

I have the 14-24mm and its an awesome lens with superb sharpness and a great FoV. It is now purely for me, a night time or indoor lens. Basically anytime I require a wide angle with no necessity to use filters!!!.

Like @ST4, I use a Zeiss 21mm for me wide angle landscape work and I wouldn't swap that for anything. Its away being fixed (Iceland incident) at the moment and I feel like I have lost a leg without it haha. I also have a 24-70 and it just isn't in the same league for me.

Dale, Derek, Rich, thanks for the replies, really informative. Making me think even harder about the lens now.

Never even thought about the Zeiss lens but I'll most certainly give it a lot of thought.

Last edited:
big, heavy, a zoom, new model just about to be released

wait ... .... only a couple of month ..... the price will drop

Consider the 16 35 VR f4 .... in the meantime

I've owned the 16-35 and bought it over the 14-24 because of the filter issue. My 16-35 was a decent lens but I eventually bought the 14-24 anyway - I'd heard so many good reports about and particularly wanted it for night/astral photography. I bought the Lucroit filter system for it after it was recommended by someone who'd tried all the others, and sold my 16-35 (couldn't justify hanging onto it at the time). Now, about a year late, I kindo of wished I'd kept both my 16-35 and my Lee filters (sold to cover cost of Lucroit). The Lucroit system (with Hi-tech) filters is way inferior to Lee, particulat re bulk, quality and handling. I bought the Pro Stop 10 filter thinking it would be close to the Big Stopper but it's not a patch on it - I can actually focus through the filter and see the scene fully in the viewfinder! Seriously thinking of picking up another 16-35 used and getting my Lee filters back. Having said that, I wouldn't give up the 14-24 - I love it.

Bill, Brian, thanks for the replies. Good to hear that the Lee system appears to be worth the extra we pay for it.

big, heavy, a zoom, new model just about to be released

wait ... .... only a couple of month

Which new lens are you referring to here ?

Been using the 14-24 for a while using an excellent Progrey filter holder and with Lee ND grads. I'm about to buy a 10 stop from either Progrey or the Hitech Firecrest, I certainly won't be buying the Lee 10 stop as frankly it's just not good enough considering the others available that I mentioned. Don't regret the 14-24 at all and love using it.

Reactions: ST4
Back