Vintage Lenses

I’ve got the 50mm version of this, very interesting lens that can give modern as well as vintage output depending on aperture. If I didn’t already have a 35mm that I love, I’d definitely buy one of these :)

LOL! In reverse, I'd also have the 50mm version if my Jupiter 3 didn't already fill that spot superbly!

I like it :D

Three Sony mount Voigtlander pictures.

35mm f1.4.

vtqrujb.jpg

40mm f1.2.

pE4q4Ip.jpg

50mm f2 apo.

EPzk6ih.jpg

I did pick up a mint Cosinon 135 in a charity shop recently. I've yet to try it though. And I'm trying out a 1.8 55 Fujinon lens at the moment that I acquired along with a Fujica ST801.

A friend has asked me to sell an Olympus OM10 with a 50mm f1.8 and a 135mm f2.8. He was gifted them by an old chap who passed away.

They look pretty much unused.

And I'm tempted.:help:

A friend has asked me to sell an Olympus OM10 with a 50mm f1.8 and a 135mm f2.8. He was gifted them by an old chap who passed away.

That 50mm f1.8 is IMO a joy. I have one :D My Oly 135 is the f3.5.

I did pick up a mint Cosinon 135 in a charity shop recently. I've yet to try it though. And I'm trying out a 1.8 55 Fujinon lens at the moment that I acquired along with a Fujica ST801.

I managed to pick up a Zeiss 135mm f/3.5, the 4 digit serial number version, which is much prized, especially by macro photographers who reverse it or use it as a tube lens. Very sharp, lovely bokeh and it's a 200/3.5 on my Z FC. Came with the original case, too. I keep buying that lens. Must be something to it. Must keep this one.

Now, here's a question. You'll have to humour me because even I'm not sure what it is I'm asking. But, I've just twigged that a Yashinon lens won't close fully on an adaptor fitted to my XT3. The aperture doesn't actually move until 5.6 and above. It's a later M42 mount and unlike earlier lenses there is no option for auto or manual. So it's an auto lens, I presume. I've tried a Takumar, switched it to manual and Bob's your uncle. Does this mean you should really only use lenses that are manual?

Now, here's a question. You'll have to humour me because even I'm not sure what it is I'm asking. But, I've just twigged that a Yashinon lens won't close fully on an adaptor fitted to my XT3. The aperture doesn't actually move until 5.6 and above. It's a later M42 mount and unlike earlier lenses there is no option for auto or manual. So it's an auto lens, I presume. I've tried a Takumar, switched it to manual and Bob's your uncle. Does this mean you should really only use lenses that are manual?
I think that means the internal flange in your adapter is too far back & not pressing in the pin far enough. My M42 lenses are all either presets, or have a manual switch so it's not an issue I've come across. It is possible to modify the lens (reversibly) so it always behaves as a manual.

Ah, that sounds entirely possible. Particularly as I have the full range of apertures when I press the pin with my finger. Thanks for the answer.

I enjoy using old lenses and cameras and own a few but I do have a bee in my bonnet about the misuse of the term "vintage" as the term only applies to items over 50 years old meaning anything made after 1972 is just plain old whereas I am vintage as I was made before then as was my M2 (1965) & my Zeiss 6x9 (1933) but sadly my Leica lenses, though all over 20 years old don't make it.

I enjoy using old lenses and cameras and own a few but I do have a bee in my bonnet about the misuse of the term "vintage" as the term only applies to items over 50 years old meaning anything made after 1972 is just plain old whereas I am vintage as I was made before then as was my M2 (1965) & my Zeiss 6x9 (1933) but sadly my Leica lenses, though all over 20 years old don't make it.

In this thread we’ve been lenient and allow legacy and MF lenses into the conversation.

Go for it. Just picked one up myself. Although I have yet to use it. It's a pleasure to handle and has good reports. Looking forward to trying it out.

I'm not entirely sure if this is the 1960s version of the Soviet MTO 1000mm but it may be. Image quality wasn't too bad if mounted on a really solid tripod but otherwise... :oops: :$

Soviet MTO mirror lens and optical finder Sony R1_05639.jpg

Tamron's SP 500mm mirror lens, unlike the Soviet MTO, is a compact, lightweight design ideal for use with mirrorless cameras, such as the Olympus shown here. In this configuration, more than half the length is the hood (which screws on reversed for storage) and the adapter.

An important check when buying one of these is to make sure that the plain filter at the rear of the lens is either already fitted or supplied with the lens. Without a filter, according to Tamron's literature at the time, the lens will not perform correctly.

Tamron 500mm and E-PL5 on tripod GM5 _1050779.JPG

Last edited:
The 500mm Tamron has a fixed aperture of f8, which gives you very little depth of field at close distances. Despite that, it's possible to get what I consider acceptable results...

Crow in a tree 500mm E-PL5 P6200008.jpgBlossom 500mm E-PL5 P6200002.JPGSmall apples on the tree 500mm E-PL5 P6200017.JPG

Last edited:
I've just posted the following in the Panasonic thread and I thought I'd repost and ask a question here...

I miss the Sigma 150mm f2.8 I used on my Canon DSLR's. I now have a film era 50mm f1.8 and it's a good lens but even though it looks like 100mm on MFT you don't get the perspective of that 150mm on Canon APS-C, 240mm. I suppose I don't really need a macro as I mostly take pictures of flowers with macro lenses so a close focusing longer lens would do me nicely.

So, does anyone know of a nice but reasonably priced close focusing longer lens I could use for flower shots and the odd butterfly and the like? I have a couple of 135mm lenses but they don't focus particularly closely and they're "only" 135mm so on my FF A7 I don't get the perspective I got with that 240mm equivalent Sigma on APS-C.

A cunning use of the biscuit tins. I never like to throw out a good biscuit tin, and have several of them knocking about. But I have never thought to use them to keep my lenses in.

Hello WW,

There's a guy in Inkersall by Chesterfield who does repairs, loose screw inside my G2 he fixed it an hour.

Cheers - J

Just picked up a Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AIS ED. This is one of my top 3 favourite lenses and is just stunning. Thinking about this on my Z FC, by itself it's effectively a 270mm f/2.8. Pop a TC-14B in front of it and it's suddenly "effectively" a 400mm f/3.5 and with this lens combo you really don't see any degradation in image quality. Consider the fact that this lens can be had for £200-400 depending on condition and a TC-14B would be around £100, that makes this lens a veritable bargain for those who can shoot MF..

'A passenger flight was forced to make an emergency landing in NYC this weekend after a woman mistook a fellow passenger’s vintage camera for a bomb. ... The suspected terrorist was pinned to the tarmac before authorities figured out he was a camera enthusiast. The incident reportedly occurred after a woman spotted a fellow passenger scrolling through videos and photos of vintage cameras. She mistook the images of vintage cameras for bombs and believed that the passenger was looking up bomb-making instructions. The woman’s fears peaked after the man pulled out his own vintage camera and began fiddling with its settings - she believed that he was setting a timer on a bomb’s detonator. She then notified a flight attendant and the pilots decided to land in Queens.'
Well I suppose that "the woman" feels mighty self-righteous when in fact she should feel like she was several shades of stupid. And whilst I understand that the pilots would have been locked in up front where was the flight attendant in taking a sneaky look whilst shimmying up and down the aisle?

TWO SONNARS around 100mm

I quite like the sonnars/Ernostars and, especialy those medium teles 85 to 100. Of the more modern ones I use, my favourite has been the Contax 100/3.5. Some months ago I found a Nikkor-P Auto Ai converted 1971 ish 105/2.5 which has one of the original sonnar schemes. It was replaced by a double Gauss design which is sharper.

I did a few cross shots with my Contax and found them to be very similar - in fact, stopped down a little they look the same to me. The Contax, probably because its f3.5 was a bit sharper wide open.

I will spare you all the wall shots and random garden shots but I quite liked this standard shot of apple blossom from the Nikkor: ( the size reduction has reduced the crispness of the image ). The Contax was pretty much the same. These were on a Z6 and probably f4. SOOC

I will certainly keep my Contax but probably also the Nikkor since I still have a DSLR and the Contax won't mount to that.

DSC_1480.JPG

... and a snap of one of our dogs also with that Nikkor

DSC_1471.JPG

Last edited:
Back