Critique Vintage Sports Cars at Prescott

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
My first visit to Prescott Hillclimb, home of the Bugatti Owners Club, was for the VSCC event on August 2nd, and turned out to be a lovely day weather-wise. Lots of panning practice as the paddock was a bit too busy to get many opportunities.

Any comments and criticism welcome. I continue to be frustrated in my attempts to get the whole vehicle sharp in these panning shots, even though I can get some bits right and I'd expect the depth of field to include the remainder.

I like the motion shots since the blurred background helps highlight the subject, in the others, there is a lot of distraction from the vehicles themselves - for me. Looking at the first one, it's not clear whether it's meant to be of the car in the foreground or a general shot of the gathering. Closer up or higher up would both be good.

Thanks - it was mainly the moving shots I was trying to concentrate on, but really the static stuff is as much for variety as anything. The first one was really a general paddock shot, turned mono because all the main subject was old enough to get away with it and the people in shot aren't clear enough to make out anachronisms - the second shot wouldn't have worked because of the digital clock being quite prominent. I often shoot lower down, can't manage higher up there.

It is a nice venue, and didn't take as long to get there as I thought it would, so I'm sure another trip will be on the cards. Next potential for me is the VSCC at Loton Park, which is much closer for me.

Strictly speaking it's owned by the owners club, not the home of...

I'm not sure about mixing B&W and colour. I've got similar shots to #5 from some of my attempts.
I really like #6, a good interesting angle and I think you've managed to catch a unique image from Prescott, well done.
Great circuit and a great day out there, well recommended for a visit.

Cheers. I did a few similar to #6, just before we left for the trip home. It is a nice venue, perhaps I'll try to get to the top next time.

Great circuit and a great day out there, well recommended for a visit.

Looks it, I'm going to be doing a lot more travelling next year and this is one on the list

The panning shots work well but I think you need a slightly faster shutter speed to make them pop out , they look slightly out of focus unless it's because I'm viewing them on an iPad

Good effort though

No, it's probably more likely me than your iPad. I've been experimenting with what shutter speed to use, it seems as if I can't get the vehicle as sharp as I'd like to unless I go to a much quicker shutter, which of course starts to take out the motion blur from the surroundings. Looking again at the last photo it's fairly blurred all over the car, where 3,4 and 5 are at least quite clear in some areas. If I could just get it so more of the car is sharp I'd be happier with them - will be at the Gold Cup at Oulton Park in a couple of weeks, practising again.

A fine selection of vintage cars there some great photos....:)

Back