Virgin Cable Broadband vs Netgear DG834G

Name
The King Of Prestwich
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,

I've recently moved onto Sky broadband and as a result have a surplus Netgear router. Being the generous sort I am, I offered to donate it gratis to a friend at work so he could enjoy wireless functionality. Unfortunately, I've just realised he's on Virgin cable broadband, and having googled a bit, can't work out whether it's compatible or not??

Does anybody know if he could make this work at all with his Virgin connection?? If so, have you got an idiots guide for setup please! :D

It depends on what sort of connection it is. Virgin do both a cable (under ground) and an adsl connection.

I'm presuming the router that comes with sky is adsl, in which case it will not work on a virgin cable (underground) modem.

But it all depends on the type of broadband and exactly what router it is.

He's definitely on cable, as he get's his telly through it too. My routers the non-Sky Netgear one, if that's any help (I got a 934G when I moved over)

Sky don't do cable?

Out of curiosity... How are u finding Sky.... I really need to get off of AOL.

Unless Sky have LLU enabled on your exchange, steer well clear, as they've been throttling Sky connect customers to ridiculously slow download speeds (like 56k dial up speeds) as they haven't bought enough bandwidth from BT.

That said, on LLU (which I am) after a bit of tinkering at my end, and at theirs (about 2 weeks of messing, but never without a connection) I'm getting a stable 10.5Mb down, and 0.65Mb upstream, and it seems fine (I was with Zen before, getting 6Mb on ADSL)

Check samknows or skyuser forums to see what you could expect from Sky & check whether your exchange is LLU enabled.

Unless Sky have LLU enabled on your exchange, steer well clear, as they've been throttling Sky connect customers to ridiculously slow download speeds (like 56k dial up speeds) as they haven't bought enough bandwidth from BT.

That said, on LLU (which I am) after a bit of tinkering at my end, and at theirs (about 2 weeks of messing, but never without a connection) I'm getting a stable 10.5Mb down, and 0.65Mb upstream, and it seems fine (I was with Zen before, getting 6Mb on ADSL)

Check samknows or skyuser forums to see what you could expect from Sky & check whether your exchange is LLU enabled.

Ok whats LLU?
max download speed down here is 8mps, I get around 5-6 average hard wired.
(wireless is poo for gaming)
I have a month before my bt phone contract is up so was going to get the whole pack from sky.
I heard that SKY/ O2 and Virgin were the best going at the moment?

Looks like only Talk Talk have LLU in your area, so if I was you I wouldn't go near Sky as they'll definitely put you on Connect (type Sky connect & complaint into google and see what happens!! ;) ) - if you're just after a cheaper deal, try another ISP by all means (Plusnet are highly rated for gaming) or threaten to leave BT and see if they'll price match. Talk Talk might do up to 16Mb or summat on LLU, but I'd be cautious if I was you - they are the only people who CAN offer you a faster than 8Mb connection in Swanage anyway.

www.thinkbroadband.com are good for ISP reviews.

Try a game like Call of duty.. trust me it will stutter.

DOD:confused: / COD1,2,4 / Left4Dead / Quake3Arena / TF2 , all smooth ping /lag with no spikes

Thats been with two different setups @ 54g & 300n :shrug:

You're not using a USB wireless dongle are you ? they can be carp .....

If I was you Trev, if you've got a couple of quid knocking about, I'd get a pair of Amazon value homeplugs - £38 for a totally stable ethernet connection without having to run any wires - I've just sold my Xbox wireless jobby to KevM on here today, as the home plugs are that good!!! I now get to host a lot more games on Xbox live as my speeds are that good and stable!! :D

If I was you Trev, if you've got a couple of quid knocking about, I'd get a pair of Amazon value homeplugs - £38 for a totally stable ethernet connection without having to run any wires - I've just sold my Xbox wireless jobby to KevM on here today, as the home plugs are that good!!! I now get to host a lot more games on Xbox live as my speeds are that good and stable!! :D

Thats just to run wireless better though? I need a good ISP

Back