Virgin Media and O2 Have Merged

It’s been confirmed. The U.K. operations of both companies are merging in a 50:50 joint venture.

There will be a lot of this going on. BT already own EE (which was already a combination of Orange & T Mobile).

Virgin have a fibre network in the UK, merging with O2 allows them to take advantage of a decent wireless network as well. With the arrival of 5G, they'll be looking at delivering Virgin's TV services in areas they don't currently have fibre.

(But we all know that 5G causes CV-19 don't we?) :rolleyes::rolleyes::cautious::ROFLMAO:

Wonder what the new company might be called [emoji848]
How about - O2 be a Virgin [emoji23]

The O2 CEO was speculating earlier that both brands would be kept, much like the BT & EE brands co-exist.
I’d change it though because I don’t think the Virgin brand is as powerful or as popular as it was.
Telefónica already have a hugely successful brand in Spain that offers the quad-play offering (TV, broadband, fixed phone and mobile), and I think it would be an ideal opportunity to give the new entity that name. So, I’d call it Movistar.

VirgO2?

The O2 CEO was speculating earlier that both brands would be kept, much like the BT & EE brands co-exist.
I’d change it though because I don’t think the Virgin brand is as powerful or as popular as it was.
Telefónica already have a hugely successful brand in Spain that offers the quad-play offering (TV, broadband, fixed phone and mobile), and I think it would be an ideal opportunity to give the new entity that name. So, I’d call it Movistar.

I think a lot of people view it quite negatively.

I see that it has been announced that all Virgin Mobile customers are now being transferred to O2.

The wife and I are VM customers (for several decades) and were transferred about a year ago as part of a discount deal I was negotiating. I have to say that we don't really have any complaints. We get good reception in most places, a lower monthly bill and regular offers of cheap streaming TV subscriptions (Now TV, Disney+, etc.).

The only thing I miss is the ability to dial 150 from the mobile to get through to VM customer services.

I wonder what will happen to my Virgin Mobile plan: Unlimited calls, unlimited texts, I only pay for any data, my normal bill is £0/month

I wonder what will happen to my Virgin Mobile plan: Unlimited calls, unlimited texts, I only pay for any data, my normal bill is £0/month
It won’t make any difference. Most mobile contracts give you free calls and texts these days, you just pay the for data allowance.

Last edited:
All musical chairs.
BT offloaded BTCellnet (O2), now they will be in direct competition.
We have Virgin broadband, because it was the only option, the landline cables round here are aluminium cables installed in the 70s and keep getting faults, but now we have the option of Cityfibre, if it ever gets to work properly.

We don't have Virgin TV or landline, and left their mobile service because of poor service (got a very substantial refund more than 3 years after we left, as did many others following an investigation of their insurance).

I wonder what will happen to the other companies who use O2's cell network? Will they push their costs up to try and boost the chances of their mobile network?

Virgin mobile currently uses Vodafone's network (used to be EE??), Vodafone is one of Cityfibres main partners, directly competing for broadband with Virgin, no wonder Virgin mobile wanted to cancel the agreement with Vodafone that should have run to 2026!

I don't see any of this benefiting the customer in the long term, after all the intentions are to increase profits, and the income for those profits come from the customers, and the actions will be to extract the maximum from the customers giving the absolute minimum in return :)

All musical chairs.
BT offloaded BTCellnet (O2), now they will be in direct competition.
We have Virgin broadband, because it was the only option, the landline cables round here are aluminium cables installed in the 70s and keep getting faults, but now we have the option of Cityfibre, if it ever gets to work properly.

We don't have Virgin TV or landline, and left their mobile service because of poor service (got a very substantial refund more than 3 years after we left, as did many others following an investigation of their insurance).

I wonder what will happen to the other companies who use O2's cell network? Will they push their costs up to try and boost the chances of their mobile network?

Virgin mobile currently uses Vodafone's network (used to be EE??), Vodafone is one of Cityfibres main partners, directly competing for broadband with Virgin, no wonder Virgin mobile wanted to cancel the agreement with Vodafone that should have run to 2026!

I don't see any of this benefiting the customer in the long term, after all the intentions are to increase profits, and the income for those profits come from the customers, and the actions will be to extract the maximum from the customers giving the absolute minimum in return :)

For over a year customers of both brands have benefited from the Volt proposition.

VM customers also have access to O2 Priority benefits and discounts.

So, actually, customers have benefited.

Customers can benefit if it suits the needs of businesses to maximise profits via that route. If businesses could maximise profits and ignore the needs and wants of customers then that is the route they will take.

Saw one of these vans today (for the first time).
I had a laugh and thought of Michael Caine.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PX1cVuaVA

Last edited:
I won’t be going over to o2 , the customer service is really bad, it took nearly 2 hours to get to speak to someone, and then they started chaharging me before I got the sim. I will be moving my mobile contract when it’s up.

i have been with virgin mobile for quite a while, I have the volts package but my phone is virgin mobile, i would not recommend o2 to my worst enemy

Last edited:
I won’t be going over to o2 , the customer service is really bad, it took nearly 2 hours to get to speak to someone, and then they started chaharging me before I got the sim. I will be moving my mobile contract when it’s up.

i have been with virgin mobile for quite a while, I have the volts package but my phone is virgin mobile, i would not recommend o2 to my worst enemy
We've been on GiffGaff now for nearly 10 years. Service is not bad, but then the problems are far less :)
They run on the O2 network, as do other smaller companies, will be interesting to see if they have to change anything, as they offer very good and flexible rates.
(the main advantage to us is very cheap overseas calls)

you are, have you read the reviews from both exsisting and people who dump them, thy have a rating of 1.5 on trustpilot, and others. That’s not good

Last edited:
When got the volts package, it took 2 hrs to get to speak to someone, the help I had over the phone was useless, the sim took 2 weeks to get to me, and only after I cancelled the contract did I get it. They must be the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with, and that takes some doing. I hope you never have to deal with the customer services

When the wife and I were moved to O2 from VM the whole process was completely seamless. New SIM cards arrived the following day pre-programmed with our exiting numbers. Put in the new SIM and wait about 20 minutes for it to register and off you go. Not had a need to speak to them since until last week when our 18 month contracts ended. Changed to new monthly rolling contractless deals without a hitch.

No , virgin was fine, but they are stopping there service, it’s the lack of customer service from o2 thats really c**p
i have now l/eft o2 and am transferring to tesco , the customer service is far better

Last edited:
Back