Virgin mobile sim only plan

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm tempted by Virgin's current sim only plan. 5,000 minutes, unlimited texts and 100GB of data for £20 per month on a 12 month deal. What's the catch!? They back off of the EE network, which is fine as I'm currently with EE. I ordered a PAYG sim and the signal in my house is better than that supplied by EE! So what's the catch? Is it customer services based in Cuba or somewhere? I've spoken to them a couple of times and though not a patch on EE (Nobody is in my books) They're ok.

I can't help feeling theres more to this than meets the eye. I've read if you use more than 3.5GB in one day you'll be downgraded to 3G for the rest of the day, but really I would never use that much in day.

So, has anyone here used/using Virgin? any gripes or dislikes? I have my PAC and I'm ready to jump ship and save nearly £40 per month...!

I'm with Virgin, was on a deal with a handset and this lapsed and I didn't need a new handset so went SIM only. There isn't really a catch, just that youre not paying a small fortune for the handset every month!

I'm with Virgin, was on a deal with a handset and this lapsed and I didn't need a new handset so went SIM only. There isn't really a catch, just that youre not paying a small fortune for the handset every month!
I'm kind of thinking that's the case! I'm always sceptical when one of the "smaller" companies offer a better deal than the big ones

Wife has been on virgin for a few years. Be cautious of going over your allowance as it’s pretty easy to run up a hefty bill. Other than that, she is very pleased.

I’d have to try REALLY hard to go over 100GB of data per month! But I understand what you’re saying

Do you teether? If you do check the Virgin T&C's.

Both myself and SWMBO are on virgin mobile with a sim only plan but we don't use anywhere near that amount of data or phone minutes - we've both got lives away from our phones :)

Been with virgin now for about 5 years and no problems. I have no qualms in recommending them :)

I don’t tether so no worries there. I’m currently posting this from my phone in the natural history museum with my sim in. I’m happy to say I’m getting great speeeds and signal. So off to virgin I go I think

Last edited:
phone deals are now dirt cheap especially sim only now the whole EU market has opened up,

I am on EE sim only for £8.99p a month

unlimited text and mins and 4gb of data I could have 20gb for 11.99 but barely use 4gb

I've just signed up for Virgin Broadband and the cheap sim deal attached to it, had a quick scan through the T&Cs and I'm pretty sure tethering isn't permitted by Virgin Mobile on any contract.

Tethering is not permitted on Virgin but they do have a WiFi Finder app which will enable you to log on to a Virgin hot spot.

I've just signed up for Virgin Broadband and the cheap sim deal attached to it, had a quick scan through the T&Cs and I'm pretty sure tethering isn't permitted by Virgin Mobile on any contract.

Really? Is "tethering" the same as using the phone mobile data service to set up a wifi hot spot which you then use with a laptop or tablet? If so, I've been with Virgin for three successive mobile phones over about a decade, and I've done that quite happily with all of them. I'd be unwilling to accept a mobile phone plan which wouldn't allow me to do that. But I haven't studied the T&C's in detail. If Virgin forbid that, they're not very good at noticing that I'm doing it!

Really? Is "tethering" the same as using the phone mobile data service to set up a wifi hot spot which you then use with a laptop or tablet? If so, I've been with Virgin for three successive mobile phones over about a decade, and I've done that quite happily with all of them. I'd be unwilling to accept a mobile phone plan which wouldn't allow me to do that. But I haven't studied the T&C's in detail. If Virgin forbid that, they're not very good at noticing that I'm doing it!

Yep, same thing. I used to do it some years ago with Virgin Mobile wired to a Linux PC, it all worked fine until I got a warning from Virgin. They don't seem as fussy about policing it though now from what I can gather.

From there site though:

General: Phones subject to availability. Each July your Airtime Contract will increase in line with the Retail Price Index rate of inflation announced in the April before. Plans include UK calls to UK landlines (01, 02, 03) & UK mobile networks. Calls & texts to mobiles in Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man are not covered by your inclusive monthly usage allowance. UK texts and data only. Speeds experienced will vary by device and location. Tethering and peer to peer file sharing prohibited. Acceptable use policy applies.

Last edited:
This tethering thing came from people cancelling their home broadband and putting all beirninternet through their phone. Three used to have a completely unlimited tethering policy and got rinsed which spoiled it for the rest of us. I’ve been with three for over 10 years and have a good deal. Wife has virgin and her phone pops up as a mobile hotspot even though the setting is turned off???? Bizarre.

I think its more in the small print in case someone obviously takes the pee then they can cut them oof or throttle them, like as if someone uses a hot spot on a corporate location with 20 devices connected.

EE certainly don't ever complain about it. but I would not use it so much as it makes your phone very hot and certainly wont improve it.

So I went for the Sim only plan, and ditched EE. I love the fact I'm now worry free on the data front. My only concern is when something goes wrong (And it will I'm sure) their customer services aren't too hot..!

Back