Virgin v Sky

too much tv - read a book ;)

lol - still trying to locate stash :LOL:

pmsl :LOL: :LOL:

Yup.
I'm running Telewest TV-Drive (Now Virgin V+). The inferior SKY+ system is a lot more expensive, see below

Sky+ HD
Sky+ HD : £399
Installation : £120
Monthly HD Sub : £10
Monthly Sky+ Sub : £10

1 Year Total : £760

Virgin V+
Monthly Sub : £10

1 Year Total : £120

Virgin V+ is therefore £640 cheaper :)

That's a really bad analagy tbh.

Sky+ boxes are £99 and installation is free. Sky+ subscription is free if you have another box (usuallu your old one) The HD sub is not needed but is optional at £10, this makes an annual cost of £220 and you keep the Sky+ box and dish. So every other year is £120 pa.

You are looking at figures from the telewest site which are clearly not very objective! If you look at the Sky site's comparison table it shows them as cheaper than Telewest or Virgin.

Full sky package is £43.50pm

Sky HD box is £299 + £50 install

As long as you are on the premium channels (either movies, sports or both) you don't get charged the £10pm sky+ charge.

If you have a 2nd box, you might not pay the £10 sky+ charge but you pay a £10 multiroom charge.

The HD charge is £10pm on top of that.

If your sky box breaks, and you've had it for more than 12 months you have to pay £65 to get an engineer out.

Theres no VoD on Sky either.

I switched from telewest to sky about a year ago. I tend to only have time to watch one channel and that's only available on Sky. I am thinking of subscribing to them again though.

I thought that telewest (VM) didn't have very much HD content or has this changed now?

Looks like Virgin pulled out - Sky One etc is no more for customers of VM. Not that it will make the slightest bit of difference to me :D

More Here from VM

You are looking at figures from the telewest site which are clearly not very objective! If you look at the Sky site's comparison table it shows them as cheaper than Telewest or Virgin.
Wrong !
I did the comparison in November last year and used the Telewest site for their costs and the Sky site for their costs !
Clearly things have changed now but Sky HD is still much more expensive than Virgin Media

By the way - We are comparing V+ to Sky HD, not Sky+ ;)

So it happened - no more Sky Basics for VM customers.
Three million less potential Cable viewers for Sky one etc, I wonder how this will affect their advertising revenue. Sky may regret this decision.

so is V+ HD? If it isn't then you are comparing apples and oranges.

so is V+ HD? If it isn't then you are comparing apples and oranges.
V+ is HD, hence the like-for-like comparison with Sky HD :)

how many hd channels on V+

Ondemand from sky is now available for pc users and will be to sky+ users later in the year.

i dont think you pay for £10 for HD if you the full package

I'm with Virgin and have just lost Sky News and Sky One, both of which I can live without. I admire Branson for standing his ground over this, it appears Sky have had their own way far too long and don't want the competition. I think Branson is just the guy to give 'em a mauling in the long term for going head to head over this.

i dont think you pay for £10 for HD if you the full package

You do have to pay £10 for the HD package Matty, weather you have the
full package or not.

If you sign up for Sky HD it only costs £1001 for the first year of viewing.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

your right matt, £10 a month for HD channels, but sky+ functions are free..

apparently sky gave virgin an option to sell through sky channels, so as not to incur any costs, kind of like disney do on sky, but vm didnt go for that

Back