Part one of my Torridon series :)

Liatach_Pano_1.3.jpg

Alligin_pano_2.jpg

IMG_2054_2.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_3492_orig.jpg

IMG_1997_2.jpg

ANother nice set - excellent composition in all. Very envious with no 4 as it was always low cloud and rain when I was trying to do that shot

I absolutely adore that place! The school I went to has an outdoor centre on the shore of Loch Torridon so I grew up spending holidays hill walking up there. Applecross is well worth a visit too, it's a fabulous beach.

I'm loving your pics and I think No1 here is brilliant, I love the perspective.

Hard to pick a winner from such a very strong set!

#1 & #6 do it for me though!

Great viewing :clap:

These are superb and I would never thought of using spot metering for such shots!

1 and 3 for me! but they are all lovely images!! really nice..

Where exactly is this? id love to visit it myself!!

All good but #1 is the pick of the bunch for me. Are those reds real though?

Thanks alot guy comments appreciated :D

I absolutely adore that place! The school I went to has an outdoor centre on the shore of Loch Torridon so I grew up spending holidays hill walking up there. Applecross is well worth a visit too, it's a fabulous beach.

I'm loving your pics and I think No1 here is brilliant, I love the perspective.

Wow I am jealous of your up bringing and childhood experiances mine was strictly urban :(

These are superb and I would never thought of using spot metering for such shots!

If you know exaclty how a meter works spot metering gives you complete control over your exposure. Unless time is an issue I use it for everything.

1 and 3 for me! but they are all lovely images!! really nice..

Where exactly is this? id love to visit it myself!!

This is north west Scotland and a stunning area.

All good but #1 is the pick of the bunch for me. Are those reds real though?

The reds on the mountain tops are exactly as was. The reds in the foliage appeared when I raisied the midtones to get some detail back from the shadows. At first I thought it looked false but then I just accepted that if it was there it was there I suppose.

One of the most exquisite parts of Scotland IMHO. You have certainly done the place justice.

Amazing set but the 1st hit me "full on" as soon as I opened the post :clap:

You make me proud of my country, and you should be bloody proud of the talent you possess. Awesome.

Words fail me. (No they don't) Every series of shots you post gets better. No's 2 & 3 made me go "ooh" out loud (good job I wasn't in work when I looked) and No 6 did the same. The rest are nearly as good, fantastic set again. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Andy

You make me proud of my country, and you should be bloody proud of the talent you possess. Awesome.

He makes me proud of your country as well.

Thanks alot guys really appreciate it :D

Thanks mate :) I would love to live in Scotland and be proud of it too? You don't know of any good jobs going up there do you? ;)

Words fail me. (No they don't) Every series of shots you post gets better. No's 2 & 3 made me go "ooh" out loud (good job I wasn't in work when I looked) and No 6 did the same. The rest are nearly as good, fantastic set again. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Andy

You are very kind thank you very much...puts a big smile on my face :D

Thanks mate :) I would love to live in Scotland and be proud of it too? You don't know of any good jobs going up there do you? ;)

Theres an opening for one on one tuition, Landscape Photography in the Highlands and Islands. The wages include several free pints and a curry! Its a temp position though, accommodation will be provided :D

Theres an opening for one on one tuition, Landscape Photography in the Highlands and Islands. The wages include several free pints and a curry! Its a temp position though, accommodation will be provided :D

:LOL: Careful I might take you up on that ;) :D

Was that at Inveralligin?

It certainly was!

The old schoolhouse right on the shore. I truly loved it there. I can honestly say that it was the first time in my life I had heard silence.

It does tend to have a lifelong effect on you too. I still love walking in the hills but I don't get to spend the time there. I did go back two years ago. I took my camper up there in January but it snowed so heavily I had to head right over to Inverness or I might not have got out of Wester Ross for weeks! lol.

Last edited:
:LOL: Careful I might take you up on that ;) :D

Just name the date :D There is actually a highlands trip in my camper, 24th January onwards. Its not as wild as oyur used to, and only a few forum guys know (as I have yet to mention it)...:D

Just name the date :D There is actually a highlands trip in my camper, 24th January onwards. Its not as wild as oyur used to, and only a few forum guys know (as I have yet to mention it)...:D

Mate if it wern't nearly 400 miles from me I would be all over it..but :(

Mate if it wern't nearly 400 miles from me I would be all over it..but :(

Ach well, just hang around here and help me out and I will be forever grateful.

Quick question - how much camera kit do you take on your trips?

Ach well, just hang around here and help me out and I will be forever grateful.

Quick question - how much camera kit do you take on your trips?

Well it's according to if I am wild camping or just a day on in the hills.

Wild camping used to consist of Canon 30D, Siggy 10-20, Canon 17-40, Canon 70-200, Manfrotto Pro190XB but this little lot was proving to be way too heavy and slowing me down.

Now I have a Full frame I choose to leave the telephoto at home and just take the canon 17-40 and canon 24-105 and recently I have purchased the Gitzo GT0932 with a Gitzo GH1780 ball head. It's a stupidly expensive combo but so much lighter with superb stabilty for it's weight (I am now a huge Gitzo fan) that can be increased (in high winds e.t.c) just by hanging something heavy off a hook that is on the centre column.

On a normal day route if the weather is unreliable I will just take the 5D with the 24-105 and the new gitzo (before this I would have left the tripod at home). If I need wide I will multi row stitch. Why carry heavy if the weather forecast dictates there may be no photographic opportunities at all? You may as well do a longer route.

Sometime I miss the telephoto but for the few times I use it it's just not worth the weight.

Oh and I always take my lee filter holder and a full set of 3 hard hitech 100mm filters and 3 soft and polariser.

On days out the don't involve ascent I take everything but the kitchen sink ;)

Last edited:
Well it's according to if I am wild camping or just a day on in the hills.

Wild camping used to consist of Canon 30D, Siggy 10-20, Canon 17-40, Canon 70-200, Manfrotto Pro190XB but this little lot was proving to be way too heavy and slowing me down.

Now I have a Full frame I choose to leave the telephoto at home and just take the canon 17-40 and canon 24-105 and recently I have purchased the Gitzo GT0932 with a Gitzo GH1780 ball head. It's a stupidly expensive combo but so much lighter with superb stabilty for it's weight (I am now a huge Gitzo fan) that can be increased (in high winds e.t.c) just by hanging something heavy off a hook that is on the centre column.

On a normal day route if the weather is unreliable I will just take the 5D with the 24-105 and the new gitzo (before this I would have left the tripod at home). If I need wide I will multi row stitch. Why carry heavy if the weather forecast dictates there may be no photographic opportunities at all? You may as well do a longer route.

Sometime I miss the telephoto but for the few times I use it it's just not worth the weight.

Oh and I always take my lee filter holder and a full set of 3 hard hitech 100mm filters and 3 soft and polariser.

On days out the don't involve ascent I take everything but the kitchen sink ;)

Sounds like you (like me), hate having to leave things behind. I take with me:

D3
S5 PRO
14 to 24 2.8
24 to 70 2.8
70 to 200 2.8
50 1.4
SB900

And a 12 lb tripod / head combo :wacky:

I am STRUGGLING to walk with it all, kills my neck and back, and I am NOT climbing big hills.

A new tripod and head will be with me on Wednesday - I think it will weigh 4lb with head. Would love a Gitzo 6 series, awesome. A lot of cally...

Yer just a wimp! :D

Says she who takes a 5D coz the 1Ds is too heavy. I tend to take a sigma 15-30mm if I want wide angle and I've got a lightweight Jessops tripod that actually works OK so long as I anchor it down with my lunch which invariably weighs more that the tripod :LOL:

Sounds like you (like me), hate having to leave things behind. I take with me:

D3
S5 PRO
14 to 24 2.8
24 to 70 2.8
70 to 200 2.8
50 1.4
SB900

And a 12 lb tripod / head combo :wacky:

I am STRUGGLING to walk with it all, kills my neck and back, and I am NOT climbing big hills.

A new tripod and head will be with me on Wednesday - I think it will weigh 4lb with head. Would love a Gitzo 6 series, awesome. A lot of cally...

Yeah I take everything when not in the hills but for when I am I have over time weighed up the pro's and con's of each lens and it's importance vs comfort and distance I want cover.

I went for the basault range of Gitzo as they are a good balance of weight vs price. If money were no object of coarse I would go fully carbon 6X ;)

Yer just a wimp! :D

Says she who takes a 5D coz the 1Ds is too heavy. I tend to take a sigma 15-30mm if I want wide angle and I've got a lightweight Jessops tripod that actually works OK so long as I anchor it down with my lunch which invariably weighs more that the tripod :LOL:

Exactly! 1D's in my opinion are to heavy for any decent ascent and only tiny advatages in terms of IQ over the 5D. This is why I have never felt the need to go with the 1D considering the majority of my photography lives above 2000ft ;) Especially when I am already carrying camping equipment and food and drink to get me through the night which is already shoulder slicingly heavy.

Being innovative and using what you have is always what mountain photography has been about. Galen Rowell used to get by with much less than I consider minimal with incredible results. His work is the benchmark by which I endeavour to improve and an inspiration to us all.

I'd love to get up there with my newly aquired hasselblad and a decent wide angle lens and some slide film. That would be really tasty!

I'd love to get up there with my newly aquired hasselblad and a decent wide angle lens and some slide film. That would be really tasty!

ooooh now we are talking :)

Care to extrapolate on which hasselblad?

I may never deviate from 35mm for it's pure convience but I do still consider the possibilities of large format and the exquisite prints they produce.

2ADQ2141.jpg
[/IMG]

Hasselblad 500 CM - 2 Backs - 80mm Carl Zeiss f2.8

It's one of these, smaller in the flesh than I thought and exquisitely built.

Thanks alot guys it means a lot :D

2ADQ2141.jpg
[/IMG]

Hasselblad 500 CM - 2 Backs - 80mm Carl Zeiss f2.8

It's one of these, smaller in the flesh than I thought and exquisitely built.

Don't bring it anywhere near me I may drool ;)

One day I might just get it up a hill and when I do I'll still cock it right up!

You are an inspiration with both these and your series from Snowdonia. I might just get out of my nice warm cozy bed in the morning and take it out if this freezing fog ever clears!

Back