Visiting Bempton tomorrow. Any advice on kit..

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
or anything else? We are in our way south and calling here tomorrow morning so would appreciate any advice. Haven't got long as we have to be somewhere else early afternoon. Thanks for taking the time.

or anything else? We are in our way south and calling here tomorrow morning so would appreciate any advice. Haven't got long as we have to be somewhere else early afternoon. Thanks for taking the time.
I assume you mean Bempton Cliffs Nature Reserve for the Puffins? I went there last week and you're very lucky if the birds get close to you, I think the closest we got was about 20m, that being said I'm rubbish at estimating distances lol. Put it this way, using a 600mm lens on FF I had to crop to 1:1 and even then the puffins weren't close to filling the frame, such as this (sorry for the IQ, 1:1 crop from a 150-600mm with the bird in shadows)

DSC_1436.jpg

A pair of binoculars or a spotting scope is needed really, although when we went there were some volunteers with scopes.

I wouldn't go to Bempton to see Puffins (though you might get to see some), I would be going for the Gannet flight shots ... in some areas there the Gannets will glide close to the top of the cliffs as well as come into land and gather together. I have used a 400mm f2.8 there with great success but I would say that anything from 300-600mm would be able to get some decent shots.
There are various vantage points alongside the cliff-tops and if you take the time to watch you will see where they glide by and may also catch sight of a Fulmar or two :)

I wouldn't go to Bempton to see Puffins (though you might get to see some), I would be going for the Gannet flight shots ... in some areas there the Gannets will glide close to the top of the cliffs as well as come into land and gather together. I have used a 400mm f2.8 there with great success but I would say that anything from 300-600mm would be able to get some decent shots.
There are various vantage points alongside the cliff-tops and if you take the time to watch you will see where they glide by and may also catch sight of a Fulmar or two :)
Yep, Gannet's get closer and also easier to shoot as a much larger bird (didn't realise how small puffins were). A couple of Gannet pics from one of the viewing platforms last week.

DSC_1293
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1386
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Definitely agree with gramps and snerkler, it's great to see the puffins but it's most unlikely you'll get close enough. The gannets in flight are close but it gets tiring tracking them with a big lens, but you will need the longest lens you've got.

:ty:Thanks everybody... Wanted to see the gannets so it's all good and I have the focal length required. Not my Wimberley head but there you go! We will give it a go.

Back