Visiting Scotland - Next week..

Name
Kemp N Setty
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

First visit to Highlands, have been reading about all the places but not sure how weather going to turnout:thinking:

Have bought a Beatons Midge Jackets and should I look into topical spray or like. If it rains will there be midges around:nuts:

Cheers...

I'm going to Scotland in a few weeks too - we're renting a cottage on the shores of a loch and have been advised to take some kind of bug spray for the midges. So yeah, get something.

Thanks, will look into that Avon thingy..do these come in different types:thinking:

This is what I ordered last week...clicky:cool:

Hope you have a good trip(s)!

There are number of repellents around as well as other devices, potions, formulas that are claimed to work or actually DO work for certain individuals.

My personal experience of wild camping and wild fishing is to take Jungle Formula Insect Repellent Extra Strength Pump Spray For Tropical Use.

This product has never let me down however its active ingredient is DEET at 50% concentration. DEET is apparently quite nasty stuff if you google it, potent enough to melt plastics over time (allegedly). I haven't any experience of this as I am very careful with the application, spraying onto hands before applying to face, neck etc.

The second repellent I use is Avon Skin So Soft. This is not an official repellent, nor do Avon claim it to be one however it does have properties that appear to stop midgies. From my own experience and some others, the midgies seem to die or drown in the oils. It doesn't seem to be as effective as long as my first choice so need to reapply it more often.

Ideally I'd love to have lovely smooth and moisturised skin:LOL:, midge free but I find I reach for DEET first.

Usually rain and wind keep the midgies away. Sometimes the swarms of them will drive you crazy...don't underestimate them :runaway:. I always have a headnet and some type of hat, and long sleeves when its that bad.

Hope I haven't put you off coming up, but better be a bit more prepared than not from my experience.

Andy

I'm in Scotland now, meandering south from Inverness, bring some waterproofs.........:D

Now NASA arn't going to the moon anymore they might just be selling off some of their space suits. :LOL::LOL::LOL: At least it would give Nessie a good laugh.

Realspeed

Last edited:
being a burly scottish man myself, who lives on the banks of loch lomond. I can also recommend avons "skin so soft".

Please dont be insane enough to think it repels ALL midges though, it merely is damage limitation, if your up north (in particular the west) dont be surprised to see clouds of midges at times as they can get bad.

if you get a bit of wind that usually works wonders though (y)

I've heard the military use "skin so soft" too for the same reasons....

Perhaps if they sold it in camoflage bottles it would be even more popular! (as you'd keep losing them!)

I came back from 2 weeks camping in Scotland just recently. Stocked up with smidge and splashed it all over!

4 Nights in Ullapool not a problem.
2 nights in Skye and ran for cover. Clouds of midges round Sligachen. The pub was full of people sheltering from the wee beesties.
Went down to Glen Nevis and it was fine again.

Another vote here for "Jungle formula".

Fished all over Scotland using it and very rarely get bitten.

Both "jungle formula" and "Avon skin so soft" arrived today.
Will have a look at waterproofs tomorrow.

Leaving on Saturday, do I need anything else:thinking::thinking::thinking:

use jungle formula, ihave also fished all over and it works for me also buy a midge hat

Both "jungle formula" and "Avon skin so soft" arrived today.
Will have a look at waterproofs tomorrow.

Leaving on Saturday, do I need anything else:thinking::thinking::thinking:

A bottle of this ;)
smidge-midge-mosquito-flea-bed-bug-repellent-466-p.jpg

Oh and a midge net for the head. As others have said, underestimate them at your peril! :nuts:

Last edited:
Hi all,

First visit to Highlands, have been reading about all the places but not sure how weather going to turnout:thinking:

Have bought a Beatons Midge Jackets and should I look into topical spray or like. If it rains will there be midges around:nuts:

Cheers...

Until the year advances to the point when it is too cold for midges you can expect them in any weather. Only a strong breeze will bring respite.

I'm not knocking those who swear by Avon Skin So Soft but take it with a pinch of salt as there's nothing to prove that it's the 'wearing of it' (or any product) that makes any difference. Sometimes you'll be eaten - other times you'll not and the variables are more down to conditions.

Deet based products work best for me and when times are really hard a basting in lighter fuel seems to help. Smoking helps too (when not doused in fuel) as it's the CO2 the little blighters are attracted too.

My grandad use to swear by a good old reekie pipe, with the most offensive tobacco I had every had the joy of smelling. Saying that he was that weathered nothing ever bit him.

Heh you going bit crazy with all these midges ^^

Been warned the same, that these will eat me alive, so also got some kind of repellent but in the end didn't even use it once. Been in Edinburgh, Findhorn, Loch Ness and even climbed Ben Nevis... and heh no bites, nothing. Haven't even seen one :) So it's not that bad as they say.

Wish you great trip.. Scotland, a fascinating place to be in, would go again any time.

Heh you going bit crazy with all these midges ^^

Been warned the same, that these will eat me alive, so also got some kind of repellent but in the end didn't even use it once. Been in Edinburgh, Findhorn, Loch Ness and even climbed Ben Nevis... and heh no bites, nothing. Haven't even seen one :) So it's not that bad as they say.

Wish you great trip.. Scotland, a fascinating place to be in, would go again any time.

It's a case of luck. Four days in Ullapool and not a bite. But, Camping in Skye three weeks ago was unbearable. Everyone, including locals was sheltering and I still have 2 bites that haven't quite healed.

The midgies issue all depends on varying factors. f its wet/damp, no wind and your near water or woodland/.moorland then there is a good chance you will get bitten.

It can be so bad that you will be running away, tripod in hand, swatting like a maniac (well at least I was).

I grew up on the Isle Of Lewis, Midges are a killer up there, you learn to deal with them but the Avon skin so soft was the best stuff we found.

If you haven't tried midge repellent for Scottish midges it is best to take every type of midge repellent that is mentioned, Avon "skin so soft "works for me but some not , its also cheap at about £1.50 a bottle 250ml .
I spent £5 on a tiny bottle of repellent ( 20ml ) manufactured in Scotland but it didnt work for me, it made my lips feel like i had been to the dentist for one of those injections before a filling !

Last edited by a moderator:
The midgies issue all depends on varying factors. f its wet/damp, no wind and your near water or woodland/.moorland then there is a good chance you will get bitten.

It can be so bad that you will be running away, tripod in hand, swatting like a maniac (well at least I was).

I can sympathise with you, the image in my minds eye of me running away from a swarm of these little b******* carrying a tripod, camera and large rucksack whilst trying desperately to swat 'em with the tripod, the colour of the air around me was blue but it had little effect on the swarm.:exit:

I have even thought about a small calor gas bottle with one of those flame throwers that they use to burn grass and just burn the little buggers in flight.

Back