Vista home premium 32 or Vista ultimate 64?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Which should I use as I have a choice to reformat.

I do play a lot of games as well as the usual Adobe type programs

if your computer is 64 bit then go 64 bit.

no reason to use 32 bit on a 64 bit pc anymore as all companies release 64 bit drivers nowadays...

It will also depend on your spec - Vista 64 bit has quite a heavy resource footprint, so if you don't have much RAM you may find the machine feels slower. Having said this, if your motherboard supports it you will actually be able to properly make use of more than 3Gb of RAM so it can cancel itself out.

Cheers,
James

In which case, seek 64 bit my son, the force is strong in that one....

64 bit would be a good option as you can make use of the extra RAM. However do make sure you can get the 64 bit drivers. Also check that they are fully 64 bit compatible. I've noticed that some printer drivers, notably those from Epson don't give the same functionality when running with a 64 bit version of Lightroom ( on a Mac ) compared to the 32 bit version. Some advanced Colour Management options are not available

hmm, I have an epson pronter but the black ink doesnt work so I doubt i'll use it much.
Its just backing everything up that sucks

I went through this dilemma a few years ago. And got bitten, as no one had 64 bit drivers for anything. But now it's a different storey. I installed Windows Vista Home premium 64 bit and with the exception of sound drivers every thing installed straight out of the box.

The only one of my peripherals that doesn’t have a 64 bit driver is my Nikon Coolscan scanner.

The benefits as mentioned above is the ability to use more than 3Gb of memory.

I run 8Gb in my machine and Photoshop CS4 runs very nicely.

I might not answer your question, but I would not go for either. Vista is still very bugy. When I bought my last lasptop I asked if I could have Win XP instead. It came out I had to pay more for that, so did not go for that. I now regret it.

If you have a choice I suggest you will be better off with Win XP pro.

Hope it helps

D

I use it on a regular basis. I also have a few friends in IT as I am a web developer by proffesion and everyone I know says the same thing about Vista - it is c**p. But thats my personal opinion though. Vista is pretty, but gold is not always what shines.

All the best

D

I personally feel vista does its job, XP is maybe better but I dont think its all that much better. Vista is a lot better than it was in beta and before SP1. However now, I dont seem to have any problems that cant be sorted.

Back