Critique Vista Ridge, Sedona AZ

Edit My Images
Yes
A short walk out of Sedona with a slightly dissapointing sunset directly behind us.

Panasonic G9, PanLeica 12-60 at 23mm, f11.

Attachments

• 20191118-Flagstaff (34 of 39).jpg
    20191118-Flagstaff (34 of 39).jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 34
Hi, you will get more critique if you host the image elsewhere and include it in the post using the bb code. Or upload direct to here but it will go soft.

When you say slightly disappointing sunset, is that because it petered out before you got warm soft light? The light to me in this shot is slightly harsh still, or the exposure was a bit hot, certainly in the foreground.

I do like the colours though and get a feeling for being there.

Hmm... I clearly still have much to learn on this forum! But on the plus side - I've now found the Thumbnail / Full post button... :banghead:

20191118-Flagstaff (34 of 39).jpg

Exactly as you say - the light petered out whilst never really warming up and softening. This was pretty much down sun, maybe half an hour before sunset. Five minutes later, the sun was behind the cloud and the light was completely flat :(

And I've just realised I've somehow managed to delete the DNG! Time to restore from backup, but Cloudberry is being a pain... Before re-processing - the histogram in LR is a definite ETTR, albeit with nearly a stop of reduction already. No idea how I've managed to do this - most frustrating!

I'd suggest ETTR may not have been the best thing for this image, because you may have lost detail in the brightest parts of the image such as the foreground as Craig suggests. The colours are very intense for the rocks and sky, which makes such a tiny image (the one above - not the thumbnail) leap of the screen, but may not work so well viewed larger and can also lead to a loss of detail.

And I've just realised I've somehow managed to delete the DNG! Time to restore from backup, but Cloudberry is being a pain... Before re-processing - the histogram in LR is a definite ETTR, albeit with nearly a stop of reduction already. No idea how I've managed to do this - most frustrating!

You have to realise histogram in LR is for prophotorgb space which is far wider than anything else. Output is likely crappy srgb or argb so you need to soft proof or else your shots may magically have tons of clipping highlights after save. This one does a bit.

I like the rocks and its a place worth exploring. I would hope there is a little bit nicer foreground out there somewhere. Twigs and bushes don't play it too well for me

I like the rocks and its a place worth exploring. I would hope there is a little bit nicer foreground out there somewhere. Twigs and bushes don't play it too well for me

Good points all, and I will investigate the soft proof - it's not something I've played with yet.

For the composition - it was a balance between having (not much of a) foreground, or having the rocks look odd (to me at least) as the perspective would have been thrown out even more.

Back