vista , what is your experience ?

Try tabbing out to windows whilst the game is running. Ctrl, alt delete. right click on the process for the game set affinity. uncheck one of the CPUs then tab back to the game again.
I am sure the wife has run stalker and had problems and this fixed it.

She is not here to ask but its got to be worth a try.

On our new machine, delivered with Vista it runs like an old lady but gets there. Occasionally the internet drops out but nothing major. If its slow now it will be interesting to see what it is like when it is fully populated!

John - how much RAM did your machine arrive with?

More than likely it'll be 512MB. The machines I run it on have 1GB minimum, sues laptop has a gig, my pc has 1.5GB and my laptop has 2GB. I'd recommend at least 1GB and if you've got 512MB its not going to cost you all that much to upgrade.

www.crucial.com/uk

Click on the memory scanner (theres a special instruction for vista) and it'll tell you what you have and what you can get.

I still like Windows 98 ;(

I miss it dearly.

I feel old ;(

ha ha ha I still have fond memories (although I stated with W3.1 )
It wasn't that long ago when I ran a digital audio recording and editing studio using a top-of-the-range Time PC with Win 95 a Soundlab sound card and 32Mb ram and a 6Gb HDD It cost the pricely sum of £1,650.00 in 1996 ouch.
how on earth did it manage to deal with 30 minute stereo sound tracks on about 16Mb I'll never know?:shrug:

I remember getting a replacement 10Gb hard drive fitted for £110 jeez that seemed huge :LOL:

Im running on 3Gb and have had problems with Vista - mostly on start up. Windows notified me of an update and now its running fine.

I still like Windows 98 ;(

I miss it dearly.

Then again, I remember my dad bringing home a beta of Windows 95 (back when betas used to ship in retail boxes). None of my games would work because there wasn't enough expanded memory (memmaker anyone?). I'd forever be re-formatting and sticking Dos 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 back on so I could play Wing Commander, X-Wing, Doom and many others.

Those were the days, where you had to have a games boot floppy that loaded up just the drivers you needed for sound and memory tweaks, the first 640kb was king.

I feel old ;(

noob!

Acorn Atom/Electron and BASIC ftw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Atom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Electron

It was all about Chuckie Egg, Eddie Kidd Jump Challenge and Paperboy

It was all about Chuckie Egg, Eddie Kidd Jump Challenge and Paperboy

Don't remember Eddie Kidd.

Rember Chuckie Egg and Paper Boy though.

I never liked Chuckie Egg 2.

I hope my memory card turns up for my new phone soon, got a real desire to play Zak Mckraken and the Alien Mindbenders on ScummVM. If it hasn't come today, I might have to play it on my laptop.

I bought a lappy with VISTA, then replaced my desktop and bought a machine running VISTA.

yes, it uses memory, so make sure you have plenty to spare. Software that runs with no issues on VISTA:

CS3
media centre
office 2003
iTunes
acrobat
squeezenetwork
slimserver
DOD
HL2
any other steam toy
Canon proprietry software
Bibble
PhotoZoomPro
FDR
musicIP
photomatix
etc
etc
you get the picture

Hardware and drivers that have no problem
Canoscan 8600
Canon IP8500
Canon IP2500
Wacom tablet
NAS drive
Squeezebox
USB HDDs

What doesn't work?
Capture One

Does it work in compatibility mode?
Yes

I run a Vista Media Center box 24/7 for my TV/video/music through the TV and using only a remote control. Do i have issues? Yes i have a LOT of issues :(

Running Vista on my PC and other than a few teething problems when first installed some time back I find it perfect now..(y)

Back