VMWare vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage v6 ?

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
VMWare vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage v6
Anyone done this and the exam?
long shot but I am popping myself in for it to boost the old IT skills.

Honestly, self funding the cost of that.. I'd be asking myself is it going to give me any benefit in my role in the near future.

Otherwise get on Udemy, plenty of VMware courses for much much less money.

e.g. Udemy had a 6 part course before Christmas for under £80 all in.

VMware vSphere 6 Part 1 - Getting Started w. Virtualization
VMware vSphere 6.0 Part 2 - vCenter, Alarms and Templates
VMware vSphere 6.0 Part 3 - Storage, Resources, VM Migration
VMware vSphere 6.0 Part 4 - Clusters, Patching, Performance
VMware vSphere 6.0 Part 5 - VM Backup and Replication
VMware vSphere 6.0 Part 6 - P2V Migrations With Converter

yeah but you cannot get the qualification doing 3rd party courses that is why you have to do the real deal and as to getting value from it i cleared £70k last year working with virtualisation so i really now need the exam and certificate.

Are you missing out on contracts/roles because you don't have the certificate or because you don't have the skills delivered by the training? I work for a global organisation who primarily use Hyper-V over VMWare but certificates are often seen as no more than a CV boost if the engineer hasn't got actual real-world experience.

Are you missing out on contracts/roles because you don't have the certificate or because you don't have the skills delivered by the training? I work for a global organisation who primarily use Hyper-V over VMWare but certificates are often seen as no more than a CV boost if the engineer hasn't got actual real-world experience.

not missing out on roles, but some of the SC cleared roles i would like are dependant on the exam pass rather than just attending the course which backs up the experience.

Experience always tops certs in my book. I've interviewed candidates with certs that failed dismally when probed on the finer details of how things work in the real world. No cert can prepare you for what it's like when priorities change on a daily basis and when you are pulled left to right on a project that doesn't need text book qualifications but needs on-the-job-experience in getting yourself out of a hole that the t*** above or below, dug for you...

Experience > certs

I know people that guessed their way through a lot of their exams.

youre not getting the issue here.

you are not allowed by vmware to take the exam without doing a qualifing course, its not about guessing.
when you book the exam you have to present your course certificate.

i

Isn't the point being made that experience and ability is preferential to an exam pass? If the SC roles you're after are strictly enforcing exam passes, maybe they're not actually looking for the right technical priorities.

Isn't the point being made that experience and ability is preferential to an exam pass? If the SC roles you're after are strictly enforcing exam passes, maybe they're not actually looking for the right technical priorities.

its not that it is more liek everybody has reasonable experience with VMWARE, lets be realistic it is more popular than rice crispies.
having the paper gives me an edge, a lim one agreed but in the markey and edge is an edge.

Yup I've done it 5 day course then the exam or a two day refresher course and a shorter exam.

Sounds like if you want the roles you'll have to take the course/exam. It does bug me how some employers put a certificate over actual experience (in general, I'm not aiming that at you!) but if it's a nature of the sector you're working in you'll have to foot the bill.

youre not getting the issue here.

you are not allowed by vmware to take the exam without doing a qualifing course, its not about guessing.
when you book the exam you have to present your course certificate.

i

Ahhh the old 'VMWare must do the $$$ course before you can take the $$ exam jobbie'.

Although the Cisco exams seem to have gone up 30% in recent months which is a bit much.

Paid £185 for the last one, now its £285!

its not that it is more liek everybody has reasonable experience with VMWARE, lets be realistic it is more popular than rice crispies.
having the paper gives me an edge, a lim one agreed but in the markey and edge is an edge.

Not necessarily.
We tend to ignore certificates when recruiting because they have no bearing on the quality of candidate.

Have you already enough people qualifiedthen to keep your partner status?

We aren't big enough to worry about partner status. I was speaking strictly in terms of evaluating candidates ... single most important thing is the way candidates approach work and problem solving. The last hire was hired because he admitted a mistake (shutdown a production server instead of a test server) but then described measures he implemented to prevent it happening again. Candidates have to pass a very stringent exame before they reach the interview stage, so we know they have the knowledge.

I must offer up my apologies, taking this off topic.

Thats might be fine for your scenario but for most, if selling and delivering vmware solutions then it's almost essential, and for that you need a certain level of VCP's, qualified sales etc.
So the exams, every sodding two years, become a necessity and to a lot of companies, an important consideration when recruiting, either they have or have the ability to gain. Obviously if they have, it saves the £2500 course plus £170 exam.

And this comes from someone who hates doing exams...

Thats might be fine for your scenario but for most, if selling and delivering vmware solutions then it's almost essential, and for that you need a certain level of VCP's, qualified sales etc.
So the exams, every sodding two years, become a necessity and to a lot of companies, an important consideration when recruiting, either they have or have the ability to gain. Obviously if they have, it saves the £2500 course plus £170 exam.

And this comes from someone who hates doing exams...

One of the reasons I picked Networking.

The exams are approaching £300 each now but I could do 8-10 exams for the price of the VCP coure + exam.

I hate classroom courses, I feel I learn far more studying myself.

Back