Voigtlander Bessa R4M

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Good afternoon,

I have been looking at this rangefinder camera quite a lot recently as I am moving more towards film photography rather than digital. Would anyone recommend this camera or an alternative? I like wide angle lenses and I shoot a lot of landscapes so I thought that the R4 would be better than the R2 or 3 as there isn't the need for an additional view finder.

Thanks for stopping by.

I had a Bessa R which was fine for 35, 50, 75 and 90mm. I had just one lens, a Voigtlander Color scopar 35mm f2.5 and I loved the combo but when the advantages and convenience of digital became available in small bodies in the shape of MFT my film days were numbered and slowly ended. Changing the ISO from shot to shot, having the convenience of instant review and downloading and having control over image quality (I never processed my own films and was at the mercy of those who did it for me) are just too tempting for me.

However, if you are committed to film these are lovely cameras and if you get one I'm sure you'll like it.

Hi Michael, I had an R3A with the Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1.4 and I sold it.... I honestly don't know why, it was stunningly brilliant. Small, superbly well built, easy to use and delightfully so and the 40mm was fabulously sharp and rendered colour beautifully.

A couple of examples.
The-Falls2 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

The-Lord-Clyde by andysnapper1, on Flickr

I cannot advise you strongly enough to get one, it is the one camera I regret selling and I will get another one some day.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks guys, everything I read is positive but it's good to get opinions of people who have actually owned one.

If you buy it, please tell us in the Film & Conventional section, and show us some results, we'll get all excited and invite you to meets and things!

I recently bought an R4M and i think it's a beautiful camera and finely crafted machine. Everything on it makes sense and seems robust. I've paired mine with a 21mm f4 Color Skopar and I've got a roll waiting to be developed, which I'm really excited about. What I love about it is that the framelines can be manually selected, so I can use m39 / ltm mount lens with an adapter and have no issues with automatic framelines not working. The viewfinder is extremely bright and the patch is great for focussing. I also have a mint black Canon P rangefinder which I've been using with a Canon 50mm 1.8, but I'm so impressed by the Voigtlander that I may get another to combine with the 50 and an 85 or 90mm lens.

I love the rangefinder viewpoint and that the frame isn't the boundary of the view you have. I like digital though and all that it brings. In the end, I bought a Fuji x100s because it does what I want. However I had a Bessa R4 for a while and loved the simple mechanical pleasures... Hated going back to film.

Before my current cameras I had a Bessa R, and a 40mm SC f/1.4.

Lovely combo. The viewfinder brightness was great. Nice handling. Great lens. I can't see why the R4 wouldn't be even better.

I've had an R3A, and really enjoyed the 1:1 viewfinder in that camera - I sold it, as I inherited an M3. I did enjoy using the R3A with its humongous viewfinder and aperture priority option, but from my experience nothing beats the solid build of an M3. The M3 is a truly beautiful camera and it is a joy to use in a different way to the Voigtlander.

Back