voigtlander TLR

Name
dave
Edit My Images
Yes
just got myself a voigtlander TLR from ebay, anyone got any tips for me when i get it in?

i just use normal medium format film or do i need something else???

How old is that? Probably very. Shutter could be sticky.

120 roll film I guess. Use your 5D for metering.

Then thank the Lord that time doesn't stand still ;)

circa 1934, as old as my gran! :eek:

the camera is meant to be in great working order so here's hoping...

il get some fuji velvia next time im in town and shoot with that.

as for metering, i never meter with my LOMO, probably because you can't and always happy with images, thought this was wee bit of a step up in quality.

as for metering, i never meter with my LOMO, probably because you can't and always happy with images, thought this was wee bit of a step up in quality.

It's a huge step up in quality from your Lomo (and your 5D).

If you are going to use slide film like Velvia then a meter is essential. If you use a negative film, you can get away with a bit of variance.

Steve.

Whats the difference between slide and negative? I cant wait to get the thing in and go shoot with it... Hope i dont end up selling my canon. :naughty:

Slide film also know as 'transparency film' is usually colour film that is processed in E6 chemistry, like Fuji Veliva, Kodak Extrachrome
So when you get your film back you can stick in on light box or a in a projecter to view the image.

Negative film means that you will have to get the film printed onto paper in order to see it. Like Ilford FP4, Kodak Gold etc

Whats the difference between slide and negative? I cant wait to get the thing in and go shoot with it... Hope i dont end up selling my canon. :naughty:

Very unlikely ;)

If a film has 'chrome' in the name, it's positive transparency, slide film.

If it says 'color' it's negative, for prints.

Tannies are very critical exposure wise, colour neg is very forgiving.

Ah, thanks guys. Been shooting velvia and ilford delta but wasnt aware of the difference between the two, besides colour! Typically, it got delivered and now sitting in sorting office until monday. Anyone know where to buy cheap film?

Anyone know where to buy cheap film?

Don't buy cheap film, buy good film. If you can get good film cheap then that's a bonus.

One of the reasons consumers think they can get better pictures with their digi-compacts than they used to with their film point and shoot cameras is that they used to use the free film they got with mil order or high street processing instead of using something of a higher quality.

Steve.

Don't buy cheap film, buy good film. If you can get good film cheap then that's a bonus.

One of the reasons consumers think they can get better pictures with their digi-compacts than they used to with their film point and shoot cameras is that they used to use the free film they got with mil order or high street processing instead of using something of a higher quality.

Steve.

sorry, tis what i meant, where can i get good film but cheap?!

like i said, i like the x-pro look from velvia and the only other film i have shot with on 35mm is ilford delta 100 and 400, are these good films or do i need something better?

Got the camera in. Oh its lovely! Ordered some ilford fpi film i think so hopefully have a few shots on here soon.

The tripod thread is much larger than my other cameras, how can i attach it?

1. Its Ilford FP4

2. The tripod thread sounds like 3/8ths, maybe you need some sort of converter to be able to use mounting plates with 1/4 thread, or maybe you take the head off the tripod and have no pan or tilt...:LOL:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-pcs-1-4-inch-3-8

Best to find out exactly what thread is on the base of the camera before buying anything.

3. this thread is worthless without pics..

okilies, here's some pictures for those geeks out there (myself included!)

how do i fond out the thread size of the bottom tripod bit???

1. Its Ilford FP4

2. The tripod thread sounds like 3/8ths, maybe you need some sort of converter to be able to use mounting plates with 1/4 thread, or maybe you take the head off the tripod and have no pan or tilt...:LOL:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-pcs-1-4-inch-3-8

Best to find out exactly what thread is on the base of the camera before buying anything.

3. this thread is worthless without pics..

damn typo, that's what happens when you use mobile phone and the internet :bang:

Thread is 3/8in Whitworth, and you need an adaptor to take it down to 1/4in, as per the ebay link. Jessops also sell them.

Excellent.

You may as well sell that 5D now!

If you have trouble finding a thread adaptor, let me know and I will post one to you.

Steve.

Excellent.

You may as well sell that 5D now!

If you have trouble finding a thread adaptor, let me know and I will post one to you.

Steve.

ha ha, don't tempt me to go down the medium format route full time.

i would seriously consider it but just got accepted into second year of HND course and there is no way i'd manage with only film!

thanks for the kind offer, i have seen a few manfrotto ones on ebay for under £5 so may just order one the now.

still no film, better be here tomorrow... :bat:

That focussing screen reminds me of Kevs Lubitel, more of a lens than a ground glass type screen.
Is it a bakolite made of nothing type camera ?
Either way, its probably 60 years old, if you don't bust it, it'll still out live your 5D...:LOL:

Whats with everyone slagging my 5d?!

Yeah its basically a bakolite box with bugger all settings... There is three focus distances and four apertures and thats your lot. Still, should be fun!

ok, got my film in, so before i start loading it and shooting pictures for everyones perusal.

it says 25, 75, T and B on the front for shutter speeds.

i know that B is bulb and T is if you press the shutter once it opens then again and it closes but what are 25 and 75???

i thought they could be 1/250th and 1/750th???

ok, got my film in, so before i start loading it and shooting pictures for everyones perusal.

it says 25, 75, T and B on the front for shutter speeds.

i know that B is bulb and T is if you press the shutter once it opens then again and it closes but what are 25 and 75???

i thought they could be 1/250th and 1/750th???

Haha! Yes, those are shutter speeds. 1/25 and 1/75. That's your lot. I told you it was a crap camera ;)

Haha! Yes, those are shutter speeds. 1/25 and 1/75. That's your lot. I told you it was a crap camera ;)

damns, looks like my first roll will be bit overexposed, such is life!

going to shoot a few rolls over the weekend and get them developed next week.

and it may be a crap camera but it's my crap camera and i think it's beautiful! :wacky:

There's no such thing as a crap Voigtlander!! they are all things of beauty deserving of awe and respect!

There's no such thing as a crap Voigtlander!! they are all things of beauty deserving of awe and respect!

i totally agree, just shot the first roll at mixture of 25th and 75th with iso 400 film and aperture 6.6-8.

hope they turn out, i'l meter with my 5d next time but its raining again so no more for me til saturday :bang:

i totally agree, just shot the first roll at mixture of 25th and 75th with iso 400 film and aperture 6.6-8.

hope they turn out, i'l meter with my 5d next time but its raining again so no more for me til saturday :bang:

Awe and respect... Yes, well forgive me. It's not a Rolleiflex, which was at least a usable camera in its day. This one isn't, but you're obviously enjoying it, so that's cool ;)

And I told you to use the 5D for metering too!!

who says i was enjoying it?! :cautious:

this is going to be a thing i'm determined to get good pictures from, even if it kills me...

i'd love the rolleiflex but it's just too damn expensive when i need kit for my canon first.

who says i was enjoying it?! :cautious:

this is going to be a thing i'm determined to get good pictures from, even if it kills me...

i'd love the rolleiflex but it's just too damn expensive when i need kit for my canon first.

LOL I'm sure you'll get there, and whn you do I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at the quality you get out of those big negs :)

But I'm glad you've got your priorities right ;)

Depends what your priorities are.
Max fun and involvement, gotta be the Voigtlander, the 5D ultimately takes the boredom gong..:D.

Here's a few from Kevs Lubitel, I still have it, no metering for me, sunny 16 ftw :LOL:
For a plastic box they're not bad..

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=139457

The camera itself, it has a few more controls than the Voigtlander but it looks pretty similar.

Back