Vole Lower Jaw Bone

Edit My Images
Yes
Dissected an owl pellet this afternoon and remove the lower jaw bone from what I think will be a Field Vole

Taken with a 70-300mm @165mm , 1 sec, f36, ISO 200 with a Raynox 250 fitted on the front, naturally lit

Far from perfect, posted more for interest but I'm happy for any tips to improve on the shot

jaw 2 1024.jpg

Nothing wrong with that one IMO, Phil. It is well exposed, sharp and a good record of an interesting object. I'm not an expert but I reckon your ID is correct, though I was confused until I realised the front of the jaw bone is on the right.

Dave

Nothing wrong with that one IMO, Phil. It is well exposed, sharp and a good record of an interesting object. I'm not an expert but I reckon your ID is correct, though I was confused until I realised the front of the jaw bone is on the right.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I think if I have another go some better lighting wouldn't go a miss........ if I keep looking I might end up with nearly a full skeleton :D

:D indeed, good luck :). Although the pellets are regurgitated the skeletons on the unwilling participants tend to get a bit mangled, but owl pellets are fascinating.

Dave

owl pellets are fascinating

I've been having a rummage through them on the off chance I night find a small bird ID ring, I've read its possible and thought it would be interesting but nothing yet..............I've been told more than once I could do with another hobby :D

Don't listen too 'em bro it's furpectly natural to want rip owl pellets apart who wouldn't,folks are strange these days.Mate I am so out of my depth I don't know what to offer regarding the image,sort of got me hooked though for the whole skeleton:whistle:. I also figure it might slow ya down a bit and give me chance to catch up but that ain't gonna happen.:D

Interesting Phil really is i'm hoping others will follow this with actual advice / tips.............. tis all interesting mate

Dave equally confused...(it ain't hard trust me:D),are you sure front is right I thought those were is ti incissors(spelling????) on left or am I looking at the back of those front teeth and that little chisel bit on the right is the sharp end of those front teeth in other words the tooth grows along the whole lower jaw???

As I said phil cool post fascinating and I'm going to learn sommit cheers both

Stu

Dave equally confused...(it ain't hard trust me:D),are you sure front is right I thought those were is ti incissors(spelling????) on left or am I looking at the back of those front teeth and that little chisel bit on the right is the sharp end of those front teeth in other words the tooth grows along the whole lower jaw???

Thanks for dropping in Stu .......and now you mention it, I'm not sure me self, will have a google and come back to ya, probably tomorrow now :)

That is my conclusion, Stu. I too thought the huge bit of the incisor showing on the left indicated the front of the jaw. Looking online showed the molar teeth of a field vole slope downwards towards the back of the mouth and it seems the incisors grow the whole length of the jaw!

I found this guide useful - http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/sitemap/galleries/pellet-analysis/

Dave

That is my conclusion, Stu. I too thought the huge bit of the incisor showing on the left indicated the front of the jaw. Looking online showed the molar teeth of a field vole slope downwards towards the back of the mouth and it seems the incisors grow the whole length of the jaw!

I found this guide useful - http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/sitemap/galleries/pellet-analysis/

Dave

Very interesting Dave (for someone who rummages through owl pellets! :oops: :$ :D ) booked marked , cheers (y)

@Stuart Philpott , sorry Stu, this post had slipped me mind :)

Very interesting Dave (for someone who rummages through owl pellets! :oops: :$ :D ) booked marked , cheers (y)

@Stuart Philpott , sorry Stu, this post had slipped me mind :)

Don't be daft mate,you've had alot to deal with of late(sadly) frankly, i'm not surprised this has slipped your mind,,that said there is no need for any apology at all but I appreciated the kindness. Cheers blue:)

Dave

David thank you it's Phil's thread but I too am grateful for the link cheers buddy:cool: Always more to learn isn't there !!!!

take care both

stu

Back