Vulcan @ Farnborough

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Unfortunately the Vulcan wasn't flying today due to some problems with the braking system :crying:
However, it was on static display.....

4827757147_06a3d0f4ae_b.jpg

It flew on saturday. It seemed to take off quite late though, as a lot of people were already leaving when it took off. Got a few shots of it while it was flying and when it came in to land also.

I was quite upset by the fact that the Raptor wasnt there.

37644_137860806244742_100000624709524_240145_6224115_n.jpg

Last edited:
great shot gary , shame you didn't see it fly ,

Yeah - she was the one that I was really looking forward to seeing. Having said that, I've seen her at a few displays in recent years. Also, we lived at Scampton for 6 months in 1980, so no shortage of Vulcans there! I remember as a 10 year old being woken up when they ran night time manouvers!

Last edited:
a really good moody shot, wish i had tried something like that as i was there on Saturday and sitting in front of it all day and never thought to try it

I've seen some great pictures of the Vulcan in my time. This is up there with the best mate. Well done :)

XH558 looking exactly as intended mean, moody and magnificent, love the photo by the way:clap:

Looks like its been plucked straight out of the cold war era...fantastic shot Gary!

When I was a very young child I used to have a recurring nightmare in which I was being chased by a Vulcan. It was one of those when I ran but didn't go anywhere, and this huge, huge thing gradually descended and enveloped me. It was terrifying.

This photograph is full of brooding menace. You can imagine how I feel when I looking at it!

As an aside, I found that when I kept my head under the bed covers, the nightmare didn't occur, so that is how I slpet for years. Many years later I slept one night with my head out of the covers and I had the identical nightmare again. I woke up and a jet plane was flying over the house. Everything fell into place. Until I was age of 5 or 6 we lived under the Stansted flightpath...

Thanks for all your comments - much appreciated.

Oh, and sorry to Horrocks for any nightmares that the image may invoke!

First pic is awesome, i'm so annoyed that it didn't fly on the Sunday however luckily I did see it grace the skies in 2008!

great shot,what process did u use?

Fantastic shot- You've captured a mean. moody, menacing machine. Really atmospheric photo. Rob

Back