Vulcan

Love the first, gorgeous aircraft. Not so keen on processing of 2, 4 is much better.

I was lucky enough at work today to photograph the Vulcan that landed at Coningsby over the weekend.

Here are some of the shots

Vulcan by Sean_Morgan, on Flickr

Hope you like them :)

With a tear in my eye #1 is the best for me. I used to work on these:crying:
Nicely taken, not keen on #2, were you trying to make it look old?
Are you in the RAF? I was at Coningsby for 5 yrs, various posts including 29sqn. Anyway, that was a long time ago.

How do you get so close to the aircraft on a RAF base,thought there would be more secure

David

PS brill shots

Thanks for the response everyone. I'm in the RAF so was able to get nice and close. Didn't get inside tho it was just me and two mates, still quite a privilege to get so near with no one else around. Shame the weather wasn't too good.

#1 is my favourite too I'm thinking off getting some limited edition prints done.

Daveee said:
With a tear in my eye #1 is the best for me. I used to work on these:crying:
Nicely taken, not keen on #2, were you trying to make it look old?
Are you in the RAF? I was at Coningsby for 5 yrs, various posts including 29sqn. Anyway, that was a long time ago.

I worked on 29SQN for a couple of months, not a bad SQN. I'm on 3SQN and was sent over to give them a lift. It gave me a nice opportunity to get some sunset shots of the Typhoon's on the line (y)

fantastic set, no1 stands out by far!

I worked on 29SQN for a couple of months, not a bad SQN. I'm on 3SQN and was sent over to give them a lift. It gave me a nice opportunity to get some sunset shots of the Typhoon's on the line (y)

I've only seen the Typhoon flying around, it looks quite impressive. Wouldn't mind seeing your photo's.:)
I started on phantoms and finished on F3's. My Vulcan career was at Scampton. Shame you didn't get into the Vulcan, being an armourer I was often in the cockpit and bomb-bay.
Not a bad idea about the prints, you certainly did a good job with the first pic.

I've only seen the Typhoon flying around, it looks quite impressive. Wouldn't mind seeing your photo's.:)
I started on phantoms and finished on F3's. My Vulcan career was at Scampton. Shame you didn't get into the Vulcan, being an armourer I was often in the cockpit and bomb-bay.
Not a bad idea about the prints, you certainly did a good job with the first pic.

I'd love to have got inside for a look, maybe next time.
I've only been on Typhoon since Feb. Spent 8 yrs on Harriers before that.

Heres a couple of Typhoon shots that I'm happy with, although they're best viewed large because they're quite dark.

Typhoon At Sunset by Sean_Morgan, on Flickr

Typhoon by Sean_Morgan, on Flickr

Typhoon Sunset by Sean_Morgan, on Flickr

Nice shots Sean, wondered if you know Chris Ray he works inside the camp.

Thanks Graham (y)
No I dont know him I'm afraid, where does he work?

I'm loving the symmetry of pic # 4. Think the sky in #1 is too over processed.

Another ex Coningsby person here, worked on both 5 Sqn and 56 Sqn :bonk:

Saw the Vulcan there today, first time I've had a look around the place in a good few years.

Number 1 is a cracker.

Thanks Sean,
Nice to see Tattershall castle still standing:LOL:
Anyway thanks again for the pics, very nice, a little dark but the a/c makes up for it(y)

Daveee said:
Thanks Sean,
Nice to see Tattershall castle still standing:LOL:
Anyway thanks again for the pics, very nice, a little dark but the a/c makes up for it(y)

Your welcome Dave thanks for having a look (y)

I like the last one - seen the Vulcan a few times, in the past 12 months - never fails to impress & just an awsome plane.

Am booked at a local B&B near Coningsby (end of October), to have a couple of days, to try and take Typhoon pictures .........

Nice set, we spent some time photographing her over at VAHS and then again as they towed her into 29Sqn, and although we've not processed them yet, between two of us I wouldn't say we particularly got anything any better than yours, so well done mate. The sky and processing in #1 is bang on, and I actually like the processing in #2 as well. That aside, we did get to sit inside it and get some photos with the cockpit lights etc on :p

Love the last Typhoon sunset shot with Tattershall Castle too; that's exactly the sort of thing we're always asked to produce when shooting aircraft on the pan.

How's the photo club coming along? I know a bloke in AWES downstairs from us who is getting interested in photography, so I'll pass him your way.

Circuit Hero said:
Nice set, we spent some time photographing her over at VAHS and then again as they towed her into 29Sqn, and although we've not processed them yet, between two of us I wouldn't say we particularly got anything any better than yours, so well done mate. The sky and processing in #1 is bang on, and I actually like the processing in #2 as well. That aside, we did get to sit inside it and get some photos with the cockpit lights etc on :p

Love the last Typhoon sunset shot with Tattershall Castle too; that's exactly the sort of thing we're always asked to produce when shooting aircraft on the pan.

How's the photo club coming along? I know a bloke in AWES downstairs from us who is getting interested in photography, so I'll pass him your way.

Cheers Graham looks like I'm doing something right :D

I went over to 29SQN on Friday and tried blagging my way into the cockpit but the Chief was having none of it :LOL:

The clubs coming along nicely now. I'm off to see the SWO tomorrow to try and sort some premises. I think the room above the station barbers is empty so were trying to get that.

I've got all this week to sort of bimble about so I'll pop over and have a chat with the bloke you know

#1 is absolutely stunning. We were down at Coningsby last week so saw the Vulcan sitting at the other end of the field and then a glimpse of it in the hanger on Thursday. It brought back memories of fly-pasts at RAF Valley shows as a child. You've really made the most of being able to get up close - they really are a cracking set.

Delta Skies said:
#1 is absolutely stunning. We were down at Coningsby last week so saw the Vulcan sitting at the other end of the field and then a glimpse of it in the hanger on Thursday. It brought back memories of fly-pasts at RAF Valley shows as a child. You've really made the most of being able to get up close - they really are a cracking set.

Thanks Peter. I didn't know how long she'd be here so I went straight home for my camera. Still here now though, some sort of hydraulic leak and didn't take off yesterday because of bad weather.

I'm sure that the VTTS Trust would love to see these great images :)

It unfortuately missed some shows towards the end of August due to a fuel leak and then suffered a hydraulic leak on the landing gear.

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Adam_M said:
I love the Vulcan... I don't quite know why, probably because it's so unusual.

Anyway, love the shots. Processing on 4 is fab, I like processing on number 2 but I feel that style belongs on something from the WW2 era.

I'm hopefully going into bbmf with my photography club soon so I'll try that processing on some of them.

Ta for looking (y)

I went over to 29SQN on Friday and tried blagging my way into the cockpit but the Chief was having none of it :LOL:

You weren't the only one; after me and Steve bimbled out of it, a line of Officers appeared who were denied access too - they didnt look happy! :LOL:

I assume the Vulcan has gone now? I haven't been in work all week as I've been up at Otterburn with the SERE lads.

Circuit Hero said:
You weren't the only one; after me and Steve bimbled out of it, a line of Officers appeared who were denied access too - they didnt look happy! :LOL:

I assume the Vulcan has gone now? I haven't been in work all week as I've been up at Otterburn with the SERE lads.

Haha I'd love to have seen their faces. It's funny when they walk into the hangar with their metal tips on their shoes "errr, excuse me sir do you realise there are open fuel lines here, please leave before you blow us all up" :LOL:

Vulcan left last sat. I would of gone up but the mrs buggered off for the day and left me with the kids!

Vulcan number 1 is very good. the typhoon pics are fab

Back