w

Not a good recommendation for the quality of the Lower Slingshot if the contents can fall out when it is closed.

Sounds like someone has been trying to nick your camera?

I'd probably consider firing a message to lowepro to be honest, see if they'll cover some of the cost as a goodwill thing

Why would Lowepro contribute?

OP has stated the bag was closed, couldn't have been could it?

If I'm reading this right a camera fell out of a closed bag, Jonathan Creek time then

The only thing I can think off is the zip did not catch properly resulting in the zip opening, even though you have zipped it up & the pulling part is where it would be when fully zipped up,
seen that a few times even happened on on my back pack, but thank god I also have clips as well.

Why would Lowepro contribute?

OP has stated the bag was closed, couldn't have been could it?

If I'm reading this right a camera fell out of a closed bag, Jonathan Creek time then

Well if the bag was closed then they ought to crack out the ouji (sp?) board!

Either way if it was a zip failure then they may be willing? Just a thought. It must be pretty clear to the OP how the camera got out the bag...

If the zip did fail it would be evident as in pulled apart and no longer meshing together

Sorry to here about your woes

But are you meaning the bag was closed, but opened (somehow) and the camera fell out, just what you wrote does not make sense if the bag was closed

SlingShot 102 AW

Same as me. It's got two clip in strap either side of the camera compartment. I think they would try to argue that you haven't used that feature so it isn't down to them?

I've dropped lenses because I thought I'd closed the zip on the bag, but, er, didn't :D I had a lens drop, and bounce twice! and not a scratch on it. The luck of the Irish was with me that day.

Strange, my 202aw slingshot has never opened in the slightest

I found it best go send my sigma 24-70 off to sigma for repair, better than risk making it worse

Well, your best bet is obviously taking it to a camera store that do repairs. Get an estimate at least before deciding.

I'd suggest that the most obvious reason is the most likely. You almost had it nicked.

I'd suggest that the most obvious reason is the most likely. You almost had it nicked.

Agreed, the design of the 102aw has two zips, two anti opening buckles and the aperture for removing the camera is a U shaped design which can have both zips coming together at the bottom of the U or one of the zips wrapped right around the U.
I would reckon that this arrangement opening of its own accord is nigh on impossible.

Reactions: ST4
Sorry to hear about your camera.

I tend never to have my camera in a bag unless it's in the house or a car. So I'd recommend a Canon camera strap!

Bag was closed (zipper to zipper) on my back and zipper opened by itself...

Lens was mounted on camera, I think that's why it went in 2 pieces...

Seriously there's no one who dealt with camera & lens repairs?

My post 9 :)

Just had a look at the bag you use. SlingShot 102 AW, I see the design of this bag has a large opening zipper for fast camera access. IMO this is a cheap rubbish bag costs around £28

Last edited:
Look guys, the OP wants advice about fixing his camera and lens, he's not asking for criticism of his choice of bag.

Anyway I've dealt with dozens of broken lenses, including some that have physically separated into two or more pieces. I've never yet found one that can't be repaired. It might cost £500 but if the lens is worth £1000 then it's worth it.

Personally I send Nikon stuff to Nikon at Kingston, but authorised repair/service agents such as Fixation should do a good job too. Just send it to them, email any problems which are non-obvious, and ask for an estimate. The estimate will be free, and then you'll have 3 options:
1. Accept the estimate and pay for the repair.
2. Decline the estimate and ask them to scrap the unit - there should be no charge.
3. Decline the estimate and ask them to send the unit back to you - you'll probably have to pay a small charge reflecting the time their technician spent examining the unit and preparing the estimate.

This isn't much help to the OP now but to anyone else using a slingshot, one thing I do with mine to alleviate any chance of the zip opening by itself is to make sure the zip tabs meet on the area of the zip that will be upper most on the bag when it's on my back and never on the middle of zip. It means that the zips should never come open by movement of the zip ends alone as they're away from the stressed area. Hope that makes some sense.

Good luck in getting it sorted JM.

Last edited:
When I sent a lens to Fixation StewartR they returned the lens for just the cost of the courier after I declined to have it fixed as it was what I classed as an uneconomical repair

Look guys, the OP wants advice about fixing his camera and lens, he's not asking for criticism of his choice of bag.

Anyway I've dealt with dozens of broken lenses, including some that have physically separated into two or more pieces. I've never yet found one that can't be repaired. It might cost £500 but if the lens is worth £1000 then it's worth it.

Personally I send Nikon stuff to Nikon at Kingston, but authorised repair/service agents such as Fixation should do a good job too. Just send it to them, email any problems which are non-obvious, and ask for an estimate. The estimate will be free, and then you'll have 3 options:
1. Accept the estimate and pay for the repair.
2. Decline the estimate and ask them to scrap the unit - there should be no charge.
3. Decline the estimate and ask them to send the unit back to you - you'll probably have to pay a small charge reflecting the time their technician spent examining the unit and preparing the estimate.

Thanks guys for your answers, it helped a lot!

Hope you get the camera and lens fixed for not too much money.

I use this bag on occasion, and now I will be extra careful to check it. Worrying though.

Check with your house insurance, Mine covers camera and lens seperatly up to £2K each item so worth a call to them. Even better if its old for new then they will replace it.

My bigger Lowepro slingshot is several years old, much abused, often pretty heavily stuffed, and all the zips are still good. But I do worry about thieves undoing the zips. Much easier on bags like the slingshots than on ordinary rucksacks, because they're designed for fast access. So I try to avoid standing still in crowds, and if standing still keep changing position. Or I'll take the bag off, put it on the ground in front of me, and stand with a foot through the shoulder strap.

I have twice found a zip undone after being in a crowd, but nothing missing. My guess is that a thief opened it, but getting anything out would have taken too much yanking around, so left it.

When I know I'm going to be in crowds a lot I prefer to use a big side slung bag where I can keep an eye and a hand on the single top opening.

Back