WA options for a 5DMKII

Name
Morgan Lee
Edit My Images
No
What do people use on a budget less then £500.

The only lens I can see is Tokina 12-24 @ WEX

Want something wider then my 24-70, if anyone has an recomendations would be appreciated :).

Is that lens not designed for crop camera's? I think it will vignette on your 5d, if it clears the mirror in the first place. The only one i know of available for full from or aps-h is the sigma 12-24mm.

The most popular choice in that budget would be a used 17-40 f4 from canon. The only super wide option for full frame canon is the siggy 12-24. Also just about in that budget.

"The Tokina 12-24 f4 AT-X AF PRO DX II is NOT recommended for 35mm film or digital FX "full-frame" SLR cameras."

Thats quoted from WEX

Damn it i did use the WEX search and that was in the list.

So only 17-40 is my option hmmm damn :(

Cheers guys :).

or the siggy 12-24mm

I've got a Sigma 12-24mm for my 5D MKII. It can produce some good shots under the right conditions. The big disadvantage (especially for me down here where the light is particulary harsh) is that you can't mount filters to the front of the lens, only rear drop in. I find under exposing by 1 stop often gives the best results. I still can't quite make my mind up whether I like it or not. The 12mm on full frame is amazing though when you do get a good shot!

There is also a Sigma 15-30 EX that is very good too. I use one o my 1Ds3 and it does rather well for a £200 piece of glass

I've got the Sigma 12-24 too. At 12mm it is scarily wide, although it really takes a hit on IQ in the corners. From about 14mm though it's pretty good.

I love it, but the 17-40mm would be more than wide enough for the vast, vast majority of the time.

Last edited:
There is a huge difference from 17mm to 16mm (16-35mm) to 12mm. Depends how wide you want to go.

Is that lens not designed for crop camera's? I think it will vignette on your 5d, if it clears the mirror in the first place. The only one i know of available for full from or aps-h is the sigma 12-24mm.

Having said that I use Tokina 12-24mm down to around 18mm just fine and wouldn't fall over to get 17-40mm (better corners and far less distortion). That is I had one before I got FF and was more than pleased to discover what it can still do.

The trouble only starts when stacking many Lee filters + CPL on top of each other. It hits 24-70mm @ 24-28mm even harder though.

4971290013_c7454086b0_z.jpg

Last edited:
I also use a Siggy 12-24mm and it's a fun lens, although I'm starting to view the UWA as a bit gimmicky as time goes on. Mind you, I think it's got more to do with me going through a 50mm 'serious' phase at the moment ;)

I've got a Tamron 17-35, but my 5D has only just arrived, so I don't have any examples yet... Hopefully by the weekend, but it's dirt cheap, very sharp (at least on crop), and FF is looking pretty good too (y)

Chris

A second vote for the Sigma 15-30. I use it more than my 12-24. But as I use it almost exclusively at 15mm, one day I'll find and get one of the Canon/Sigma 14/15 primes.

Have you tried a 17-40L? 17 is massively wider than 24mm - 104 degrees vs 84 degrees.

And it's a fantastic lens, weatherproofed L, pretty cheap considering. And it's fine with 77mm filters.

another vote for the 17-40L. Its a beautiful little lens, its razor sharp and makes a nice fantastic walkabout lens. Believe or not, I have used mine for portraits more than typical wide-angle shots. (I havent had much opportunity to do anything other than portraits to be honest)

Back