Wacom Tablet - freehand compared to the dreaded mouse

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Just wondering how many members on here use a Wacom tablet? And if so which one?

Before I really got into playing with photoshop, I was always frustrated with not being able to get a fine, smooth action with the mouse.

I was in the apple store one day, and they were giving a demo of an A4 wacom in CS3. I was blown away with it so bought one.

I've never looked back. From cloning, to erasing, to blur ... everthing is so much easier with it.

I use it for everyday applications now too.

Lee

Hi Lee,
I have been using a small Wacom A4 Classic for some time
now , and never use the mouse at all now.
Much easier to perform tasks in Photoshop.
I don,t think i would ever think of going back to the mouse.
The only thing i regret is not getting a larger model.

Dave. (y)

:canon:

Hi Lee,
I have been using a small Wacom A4 Classic for some time
now , and never use the mouse at all now.
Much easier to perform tasks in Photoshop.
I don,t think i would ever think of going back to the mouse.
The only thing i regret is not getting a larger model.

Dave. (y)

:canon:

Yeah - I agree with the size. The A4 is superb but it drive my 2 x 23" screens on the Mac and find that it's a little too small for it.

Have you used any of the different tips for the pen? I was in KCRS in Leeds and they have all sorts of stuff for them! Air guns, paint brushes, the lot!

I did not realise you could change the pen tip, as i just use it as if it was a mouse realy. Food for thought though.:)

I love my graphics tablet & really couldn't go back to working without it - I was actually considering downsizing mine though as I've always thought it was a bit too big :LOL:

I think I'll have to run down to the Apple store & have a go of an A4 one to see if there really is that much difference between that and the A3 version that I have.

The different pen tips are useful but I don't think I'd get enough use out of different ones tbh, once again, something to consider though.

I've a Wacom Graphire Tablet and find I use it and the mouse in Photoshop. The tablet is particularly good when you need to do delicate work, such as tracing around an object when masking. Also cloning and smoothing edges is a lot easier with a tablet.

Wouldn't be without mine

Have considered getting one of these... must do some research on them.

Ive never used one either.

Do they have a permanent one hooked up in the apple stores to have a play with?

I can't remember Marcel to be honest, though I am going to the Regent St Apple store this week to get a Macbook for my daughter (just hope she doesn't read this thread!!). I will check out when I am there and let you know. I don't remember seeing one there though.

Its just that I've never used one so I'm not sure I would want one / benefit from it.

I'm also unsure as to how much I would use one, given that alot of my photoshop tweaking is adjustment layers and slider adjustments, rather than pen or brush strokes.

Its just that I've never used one so I'm not sure I would want one / benefit from it.

I'm also unsure as to how much I would use one, given that alot of my photoshop tweaking is adjustment layers and slider adjustments, rather than pen or brush strokes.

Marcel

They would normally put one on for you to have a look at if you were interested...

Lee

If desk space and cost are a concern a good compromise between a mouse and tablet is the Kensington Expert Mouse Trackerball, they can be picked up for around 40 quid.

They take a little getting used to but the precision & accuracy are superb.

I find them really hard to use you know. But I think they just take a bit of getting used to. I've always just drawn and performed tasks with my mouse so I've never really tried further than an hour.

I don't like the way it moves when you're a cm or two away from the base, Can you alter the settings at all? I'm not quite sure.

I agree.. its a difficult one because just one use wont tell you if you would benefit from one or not.

Ive had an A5 one stuck away in my drawer for about 4 yrs.
Probably if I forced myself to use it for a few days I might like it... but cant seem to get started.

So one use in a shop wont tell you really.

Back