Waddington airshow

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of going to the airshow this year for the first time.

Any tips regarding where to stand, or in one of the enclosures would be appreciated.

Graham

But the sun only moves round to crowd side later in the day

whitevanman said:
Are you saying that you are shooting into the sun for most of the day?

Yes, I have been there of two consecutive years now. Going again this year, weather permitting :).

The Sun does blaze on your face most of the morning and @ 45deg angle later in the noon. But it didn't stop me from photographing (an experienced togger next to me did advise to increase exp comp. to +0.7-1 for capturing dark coloured planes in the morning. Being a newbie, I am still learning though)

Other tips -
1. We got in really early to get rope-line spots. Does get really busy later.
2. Don't forget your sunscreen, sunglasses, and hat. We got burnt like mad first year.

Yes, I have been there of two consecutive years now. Going again this year, weather permitting :).

The Sun does blaze on your face most of the morning and @ 45deg angle later in the noon. But it didn't stop me from photographing (an experienced togger next to me did advise to increase exp comp. to +0.7-1 for capturing dark coloured planes in the morning. Being a newbie, I am still learning though)

Other tips -
1. We got in really early to get rope-line spots. Does get really busy later.
2. Don't forget your sunscreen, sunglasses, and hat. We got burnt like mad first year.

Cheers for that (y)

I'm heading there for the first time this year myself as well and will be going both days. Hopefully the bad weather will have gone by then, i've already missed 3 airshows because of the forcasts!

Anyone know how good the rope line is for taxi shots?

Looking forward to Waddington. Weather looks set to be sunny

Any advice for shooting air display on sunny day? Taking my 70-300 Nikon for flying aircraft

My advice would be go early unless your keen on sitting in Humungous traffic jams, and dont fill all your CF cards in the morning as the sun is very unfavourable for photographers till it moves around - then fill your boots when it is in your favour

then when you get home and review them - you will be sat deleting all the rubbish ones from the morning session LOL thinking there must be a good one in here somewhere

How early is early? 8 am it starts. when does it start clogging up traffic wise. My 1st time this year and only got tickets today. Do we drive into the grounds from the actual camp gates or do you go though the village at the back?

Both.

I'm setting off just after half 5ish, to get there for about half 6 (although gates don't open till 8), then I can have a wander down the static line and work out when to take which shots..

I wonder if I can go in the heli then instead of the car hmmm wo...wahh....oops sorry just dreaming again..have to go the same way as everybody else.lol

Might even pop in to Lincoln by car then travel by pushbike to waddington.

Great day at Waddington yesterday. Will post some pics up in Transport section. Can't wait to see everyone else's. Was bad shooting into the sun in the morning but it clouded over a bit.

dentonkarl said:
Great day at Waddington yesterday. Will post some pics up in Transport section. Can't wait to see everyone else's. Was bad shooting into the sun in the morning but it clouded over a bit.

Same here..my morning shots were rubbish..good job the clouds kept the temperature down a bit though ;-)

Well I had 2 excellent days at Waddington.
Some brilliant displays. Thunderbirds really are GO

Back