Wakeboarding

Very nice set Jamie, particularly like the last shot very nice indeed.(y)

The subject isn't isolated enough from the background for me.

What aperture were you shooting at? You should be able to be wide open and at least 1/1000 in that light. Then for correct exposure, let the ISO take the strain. As a lot of your shots will be against a bright sky, up the exposure to +2/3 or on very bright days even +1 or above to correctly expose the subject. The one good thing about shooting from a boat is that the camera to subject distance doesn't vary by very much, so AI servo isn't working that hard and you can concentrate on focussing on the subjects head

I like the ones close up, but the first couple have too much in the background distracting me

The subject isn't isolated enough from the background for me.

What aperture were you shooting at? You should be able to be wide open and at least 1/1000 in that light. Then for correct exposure, let the ISO take the strain. As a lot of your shots will be against a bright sky, up the exposure to +2/3 or on very bright days even +1 or above to correctly expose the subject. The one good thing about shooting from a boat is that the camera to subject distance doesn't vary by very much, so AI servo isn't working that hard and you can concentrate on focussing on the subjects head

I'm always shooting wide open, however this is normally f4 on a crop body. When shooting from a boat I normally use manual focus as once the rider has gotten up in the water the distance never changes. A lot of the time I'm asked to keep the shots pretty wide as the riders prefer to see the distance they are off the water so I'm always trying to work to that also.

I got the chance to shoot a bit more over the weekend before the park closed up for summer, I got hold of a 70-200 f2.8 L IS II to use this time. As light was fading by this stage I thought I'd try a few shots with my flashgun also, something I've always wanted to try but never had the chance! Unfortunately I only got to take a couple of pictures as after this shot the cable snapped and that brought everything to a premature halt.

Anyway - Shot at 1/200 F2.8 on Canon 600d & Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS II
Flash was 1/2 (Jessops 360AFD)

Josf
by Jamie Graham, on Flickr

C&C is always welcome :)

Back