Wales Rally GB 2009

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone going this year?

We went last year on the sunday and got lost after the swansea service and didn't find Port Talbot until after the stage had finished! :(

Thinking of going on sat this year. Is there any stages that are recommended, or maybe ideas for the best way to organise the day?
maybe "must-shoot" locations or "don't even bother" locations? :thinking:

Wales GB 2009 TimeTable

Cheers all! :clap: Looking forward to it!

I am going although not really looked into it yet. Did my first GB rally last year and loved it.

Off up to Dalby this weekend for Rally Yorkshire the weather looks like it will be brilliant.

Been a lot of years since I have been to a rally, think last time was clumber park with Rally of GB. Didn't realise there was an event in Dalby this weekend, might pop up there.

I am going although not really looked into it yet. Did my first GB rally last year and loved it.

Off up to Dalby this weekend for Rally Yorkshire the weather looks like it will be brilliant.

:( shame I have plans this weekend otherwise I may have considered that too.

Rally GB is 23-25th Oct this year, much earlier than previous years, so don't leave it too late to plan (y)

Anyone going this year?

We went last year on the sunday and got lost after the swansea service and didn't find Port Talbot until after the stage had finished! :(

Thinking of going on sat this year. Is there any stages that are recommended, or maybe ideas for the best way to organise the day?
maybe "must-shoot" locations or "don't even bother" locations? :thinking:

Wales GB 2009 TimeTable

Cheers all! :clap: Looking forward to it!

I live near port talbot, you didn't miss much :LOL:

Rhondda stage run twice on Saturday entry from Bwlch or Rhigos, good stage with plenty of vantage points easily accesible from car parks.

I went for the first time last year and spent Saturday on Halfway. It has a nice variety of places to shoot from and if you get bored you can always play with the tank!

I'm planning on getting a three-day pass this year, can't wait.

booked the Sunday off so will be about somewhere. The final decision where to go will have to be discused with the other boys did Portalbot last year

Gary

Very tempted to go, but I've got visitors that weekend. Does anyone know where and when the practice/recce's will be?

I went last year and it was fantastic!

The only insight i can give you was Crychan. I chose to stand at the Hairpin so you get plenty of chance to see some hanbrake turns but you have good views down the long straights entering and exiting the corner.

The Important thing is don't try an do to much, either stay at one stage and watch both runs through. Or you could pick one of the 1st stages of the day and then the last. Such as SS7 and SS12 Or what i would probably do is SS8 and SS12 as they are both close together.

No matter what you do you will have a blast!

i would probably do is SS8 and SS12 as they are both close together.

SS8 (Crychan1) and SS12 (Halfway2) are only 7 miles apart, but according to the official website, travelling between Crychan and Halfway will not be possible during the day on Sat :(
This is knackering up all my planning. :bonk:

I roughly worked out the following using google maps:

Crychan to Halfway 7m 20min
Cardiff Bay to Rhonnda 23m 50min
Rhondda to Halfway 40m 1hr 10
Rhonnda to Crychan 55m 1hr 25
Halfway to Cardiff Bay 70m 1hr 40
Cardiff Bay to Crychan 90m 2hr
Rugby to Cardiff Bay 130m 3hr
Rugby to Rhondda 140m 3hr 20
Rugby to Crychan 140m 3hr 20

( I live in Rugby, if you are wondering where that came from :LOL: )

two different stages and a service park will do me fine. :help:

WalesRallyGbTimeTable.JPG

the planning seemed much easier last year on the sunday. we planned to watch a SS @ Rheola at the crack of dawn, the swansea SP, lunch, the SS @ Port Talbot in the afternoon and finishing ceremony @ cardiff, and it all worked out well time-wise.
I just hope that the organisers sign-post it better this year. we got thoroughly lost trying to get to PT and we weren't the only ones. the police were neither use nor ornament, either.

SS8 (Crychan1) and SS12 (Halfway2) are only 7 miles apart, but according to the official website, travelling between Crychan and Halfway will not be possible during the day on Sat :(
This is knackering up all my planning. :bonk:

Ah, in which case you try SS7 & SS11 or SS7 & SS12? Plenty of time in between to travel.

does anyone know what the best stage is for spectators/photographers out of Crychan, Halfway and Rhondda?

I went in 2005 and 2006, and found Crychan to be excellent from several locations.

they always say it will not be possible to move between stages its all bull ****** you will be able to trust me and shakedown is on thursday ive gone for the past 11 years i love the rhonda stage but they are all cracking stages this year none will disapoint

slight change of plan actually. will probably be going on the Sunday now. never been to the Port Talbot stage. is it any good?
we're looking at probably staying at Port Talbot for SS13 & SS15 then going to Cardiff for final service and finish ceremony. :shrug:

Sorry for getting the shakedown date wrong :thinking:, the date for the recce is the 21st Wednesday

Booked Sunday tickets and going to spend the day at Port Talbot & Cardiff Bay! yay! :clap:

Our tickets arrived yesterday morning, we got day passes for Saturday. I think we will spend the morning at Crychan and the afternoon at Halfway. Should be good fun, I bet the motorsport section will be plastered with images the following week.

Our tickets arrived yesterday morning, we got day passes for Saturday. I think we will spend the morning at Crychan and the afternoon at Halfway. Should be good fun, I bet the motorsport section will be plastered with images the following week.
:LOL: you can guarantee it! :) should be good though. last year i had to struggle with my 55mm kit lens, but this year I have the 70-300VR :)

I was in Cwmgwrach yesterday and the road closed signs were there ready, also beware speed cameras on the rally days, they do make the most of it, I'm told the A465 among others are popular places to find them.

I was in Cwmgwrach yesterday and the road closed signs were there ready, also beware speed cameras on the rally days, they do make the most of it, I'm told the A465 among others are popular places to find them.

good job my mate has volunteered to drive then, not me! :LOL:
cheers for that. I'll warn him. the rozzers wern't very friendly last year when i asked for directions. :nono: lol.

good job my mate has volunteered to drive then, not me! :LOL:
cheers for that. I'll warn him. the rozzers wern't very friendly last year when i asked for directions. :nono: lol.

They were not too frendly a few years back when they nicked half the contestants either, made the national news.

They were not too frendly a few years back when they nicked half the contestants either, made the national news.

:LOL: for speeding on public roads? i don't remember that, but i remember gronholm arguing with the police about something hanging off his car, the police telling him he can't drive it on the road like that, and Marcus telling the copper "yes i can drive it like that, watch, i'll show you!" :LOL: hillarious.

:LOL: for speeding on public roads? i don't remember that, but i remember gronholm arguing with the police about something hanging off his car, the police telling him he can't drive it on the road like that, and Marcus telling the copper "yes i can drive it like that, watch, i'll show you!" :LOL: hillarious.

Yeah a few did rather go a bit quick, what caused the probems I think was they had to come back for the court cases, if I remember rightly some thought they were exempt from speed limits during the rally (or something like that) and plod didn't argree.

Yeah a few did rather go a bit quick, what caused the probems I think was they had to come back for the court cases, if I remember rightly some thought they were exempt from speed limits during the rally (or something like that) and plod didn't argree.

Yeah, I suppose they do have a point thought. :police::annoyed:

shame it is far to far to travel for me , would love to go , the last time i saw any real rallying was when Group B was on the go !! , high time this event is renamed the Welsh Rally or it is shared around the UK like it used to be years ago :clap:

Back